Grants of up to $30,000 (excluding GST). There are 2 funding rounds per year. You may be offered a smaller funding amount than applied for in your application, and we may ask for a revised project plan and budget.
03 December 2019 to 12 February 2020
Who can apply
- ex-service organisations
- local government authorities
- not-for-profit organisations
- educational institutions
Please note: Funding for this grant comes from the Community Support Fund, which means organisations that receive revenue from electronic gaming machines aren't eligible to apply.
Applicants must also:
- be an incorporated body - or you can arrange for an incorporated organisation to act as an auspice on your behalf. Complete the Auspice arrangement application form below
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN) or provide written advice from the Australian Taxation Office that no withholding tax is required from the grant payment
- be financially solvent
- be based in Australia provided the project is located in Victoria
- have provided a Final report or Progress report for any project that has been previously funded through a DPC Veterans Grant Program
If you wish to apply for Education Assistance for Veterans’ Dependents grants please contact us before starting the application:
These funds are distributed by the Victorian Veterans Council and managed by the Veterans Branch.
How we assess applications
We'll look at how the project benefits the ex-service and wider Victorian community, including:
- how it provides an opportunity to honour and commemorate the service and sacrifice of veterans
- how it educates Victorians about the contribution made by veterans in their service to the nation and state
- how the project will be delivered, the budget and who will be involved
- who will benefit from the project
Your application will be assessed competitively against other applications. Applicants should have no expectations of ongoing annual funding.
Projects we might fund
New war memorials
- for districts without an adequate existing memorial
- that commemorate the service or sacrifice of veterans in a specific battle or campaign relevant to a local area and doesn’t already exist in Victoria
- in honour of individuals awarded the Victoria Cross
- that honour or commemorate service and sacrifice of Victorian veterans
- that are of local or regional significance
- encourage school students / children to attend
Public Education Projects
- that educate Victorians about the service and sacrifice of veterans
Preserve wartime heritage
- that preserves war heritage for future generations
- for expert assessment or materials to conserve objects of demonstrated historical significance
- that increase public access to heritage by creating displays (please note: display of memorabilia should generally be publicly accessible)
Projects we won’t fund
- applications from individuals
- projects that are covered by another government grant program (including flag poles, restoration of graves or marking of unmarked graves)
- repair and restore existing war memorials - see
- projects or events that have already commenced or will occur before the announcement date
- capital works; maintenance or repairs to buildings and office equipment (see Capital Works Grants Program)
- projects located outside Victoria or on Defence land
- purchase or restoration of weapons or armoured vehicles
- on-going staffing and office costs
- veterans’ reunions and conferences
- personal memoirs, unit/ship histories
- functions, event catering
- interstate and overseas travel
- printing costs
Applicants for the following activities are advised to contact the Veterans Branch before submitting your application as these may not receive a high priority.
- publishing of books especially where the research and writing has been completed
- landscape beautification and cosmetic improvements
- purchase of furniture
- performing arts projects
- university research projects
Step 1: Check eligibility
Check that your organisation and project is eligible.
You can also:
- talk to the Veterans Branch about your project: phone or email
- call the Grants Information Line on weekdays between 8:30am and 5pm (except public holidays).
Step 2: Prepare supporting documents
Prepare the following documents and submit with your application (as required):
- Detailed budget and written quotes for project costs.
- Letters of support from other organisations, agencies or partners involved in the project.
- Photos or plans showing location of a proposed memorial and draft designs.
- Letter Local Government Authority or Crown Land Manager (for new memorials on public land), including approvals, their role and who is responsible for maintenance and ownership after completion.
- Details of any community consultation to support your application.
- Project plan with start and end dates, timelines for key activities, responsibilities and implementation stages.
- Completed - if applicable.
If documents aren’t supplied, applications may not be considered.
Step 3: Apply online
Applications can be saved and completed at a later date. It's recommended that applicants start the process early to collate any documents needed.
Once submitted, you'll receive an application umber you can use as a reference.
Step 4: Application decision and funding agreement
- the grant applications will be assessed in the two months after the closing date
- applicants may be contacted for further information
- successful and unsuccessful grant applicants will be notified in writing
- successful grant applicants will be required to enter into a Common Funding Agreement (CFA) with the Department of Premier and Cabinet
- project deliverables, milestone dates and payments will be included in the CFA
Step 5: Final reports
Please note: all figures exclude GST
Round 1: 2019-20
Organisation Project Name Amount Ararat Legacy Inc Project Remembrance 2020 $2,500
Australian National Veterans Arts Museum
March to Art: Place Exhibition $8,000 Bass Valley Friends of the RSL Remembering the Boer War $675 Borough of Queenscliffe ANZAC Commemoration Project $7,000 City of Ballarat ANZAC Day Commemorative Service $9,000 Cohuna/
Leitchville RSL Sub-Branch
Boer Korean War Monument $13,127 Darwin Defenders 1942-45 Melbourne Branch Commemoration of the Bombing of Darwin $4,032 Federation University Australia The Lucas Girls and WWI Soldiers $10,500 Jamieson Community Group & Associated Bodies Inc. Matthews Reserve Avenue of Honour - Brass Plaques $23,238 Lara RSL Sub-Branch Museum from the Veterans to the Community $7,522 Lemnos Gallipoli Commemorative Committee Inc Annual Commemorative Service Infrastructure $2,500 Maldon RSL Sub-Branch Maldon RSL Preservation and Presentation of Memorabilia $1,972 Melbourne Legacy 2020 Legacy ANZAC Commemoration Student Ceremony $18,000 Mt Macedon Memorial Cross Council for Commemorative Services Inc 2020 Mt Macedon ANZAC Dawn Service $9,000 Rotary Club of Templestowe Manningham Schools ANZAC Service $3,800 Royal United Services Institute of Victoria Incorporated Additional Map and Book Storage $5,797 Sale RSL & Community Sub-Branch Remembering World War Two $2,000 Sir Edward Weary Dunlop Medical Research Foundation Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop Commemorative Service $4,000 Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum Anzac Spirits $21,758 Torquay RSL Sub-Branch ANZAC Day Dawn Service 2020 $14,000 Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct $7,807.50 Traralgon RSL Sub-Branch Giant Screen ANZAC Day $5,000 Vasey RSL Care Frankston South Wall of Remembrance $19,000 Walwa Services Memorial Hall Storing Our Memories $18,800 Total: $219,028
Round 3: 2018-2019
Organisation Project Grant funding amount Battle of Australia Foundation in Victoria Battle for Australia Ceremony $10,000 Bomber Command Commemorative Association Vic Inc. 2019 Commemorative Service for Victorian Veterans $1,920 Broadford RSL Sub-Branch Fromelles Memorial Wall $15,000 Castlemaine RSL Sub Branch Uniform Preservation Project $1,617 Diamond Valley Vietnam Veterans Memorabilia Collection $1,700 Euroa RSL Sub-Branch War Memorabilia Presentation Cabinet $1,369 Foster RSL Sub-Branch Foster RSL Display Cabinets $5,616 Gippstown Reserve Committee of Management Garden of Remembrance and Military History Banners $7,200 Kingston, Friends of the Avenue Inc 'Kingston Remembers' Resource Centre $12,500 National Boer War Memorial Association (Vic) Boer War Commemoration Parade and Service $3,000 Rats of Tobruk Association Inc. Audio Visual Project $10,000 Seymour RSL Sub-Branch Seymour's Military Heritage $7,400 Sir Edward Weary Dunlop Medical Research Foundation Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop Commemorative Service $4,100 Tawonga and District Community Association Tawonga and District War Memorial Project $15,000 Victorian Association of WWII Veterans from Former Soviet Union Victoria Remembers - AVWSU - 2019 $10,000 Victorian Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia Vietnam Veterans Day 2019 $15,500 Warburton RSL Sub Branch 2019 School Excursions $2,820 Werribee Half Battery Werribee Half Battery Uniform Provision $10,390 Surf Coast Shire Winchelsea Memorial Park and Interactive Map Project $30,000
Round 2: 2018-2019
Organisation Project Grant funding amount Borough of Queenscliffe Queenscliffe Anzac Commemoration $5,000 Castlemaine RSL Mt. Alexander Women's' War Service Display $10,000 Geelong and District Vietnam Veterans Association ANZAC Day Dawn Service at Corio Beach $4,000 Hindmarsh Shire Council Nhill's Historic RAAF Base Memorial Entrance $30,000 Inglewood/Bridgewater RSL Sub Branch Preserving our Memories $4,000 Melbourne Legacy 2019 Legacy Anzac Commemoration Student Ceremony $18,000 Melbourne Legacy Educational and Essential Student Learning Items $20,000 Mt Macedon Memorial Cross Council for Commemorative Services Inc. Mt Macedon ANZAC Day Service $7,000 Nurcoung Community Centre Committee of Management Inc. Preservation of service records - WWI & WWII Military Personnel $1,600 RMIT University Virtual and Augmented Reality Remembrance $20,000 Royal United Services Institute of Victoria Incorporated Upgrade of Library Cataloguing System $3,500 Shrine of Remembrance Beaufort Bomber Turret Exhibition $18,000 Stanley Cemetery Trust Interpretive Storyboard on Soldiers Who Died $2,300 Torquay RSL Sub-Branch Torquay RSL ANZAC Day Dawn Service 2019 $12,000 Upwey Belgrave RSL ANZAC Day Audio Visual Project $3,300
Round 1: 2017-2018
Organisation Project Grant funding amount Ararat Legacy Inc. Project Remembrance 2018 $2,530 Battle of Australia Foundation in Victoria Battle for Australia Ceremony $10,000 Benalla Aviation Museum Inc. RAAF Uniform Heritage Display $9,636 Borough of Queenscliff Queenscliff ANZAC Commemoration Project $5,000 Geelong & District Vietnam Veterans Association Geelong Eastern Beach ANZAC Dawn Service 2018 $3,631 Geelong Legacy Club Schools' ANZAC Ceremony Shrine of Remembrance $2,350 Lara RSL Project Lara Military History $9,425 Loddon Shire Serpentine Memorial Hall Commemorative Silhouettes and Signage $16,000 Margaret McNena (Auspiced by Auspicious Arts Projects Inc.) Mud and Blood $10,000 Melbourne Legacy 2018 Legacy ANZAC Commemoration Student Ceremony $18,000 Melbourne Legacy Melbourne Legacy 2018 Youth Education Grants $20,000 Melbourne Legacy Melbourne Legacy 2018 Education Scholarships $16,000 Mt Macedon Memorial Cross Council for Commemorative Services Inc Mt Macedon ANZAC Dawn Service $8,000 National Boer War Memorial Association (Vic) Boer War Commemoration Parade and Service $3,000 Reserve Forces Day Council (VIC) Inc. Reserve Forces Day Parade & Commemorative Service $5,060 Rotary Club of Monash Rotary Club of Monash ANZAC Service for Schools $2,500 Rotary Club of Templestowe Manningham Schools ANZAC Service $3,848 Royal United Services Institute of Victoria Inc. Library support equipment $2,000 South Eastern Group of Melbourne Legacy Student Service - Shrine $1,040 Terang RSL (Auspiced by RSL Victoria) WWI Digger Dugout $5,000 The Craigieburn War Memorial and Remembrance Committee Inc. 2018 ANZAC Day Service $1,867 The Scout Association of Australia Victorian Branch Bus Trip to the Shrine $2,064 Torquay RSL Sub-Branch Torquay RSL ANZAC Day Dawn Service $10,000 VVAA Victorian Branch 50th Anniversary Battle of FSPB's Coral/Balmoral $10,000 Weary Dunlop Foundation Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop Commemorative Service $4,100 Wesley College Foundation Ltd WWII Commemorative Plaque $2,500 Yarram Aero Club Yarram Centenary of Flight $4,000 Bomber Command Commemorative Assoc. Vic Inc. Service for Victorians Serving in Bomber Command $2,200
Veterans Fund Commemoration and Education Grants Programs: 2016-2017
Organisation Project Grant funding amount Applicant and Auspice Project Name Grant 39th Australian Infantry Battalion (1941-43) Association Inc. 75th Anniversary of the Kokoda Campaign Commemoration $5,000 Ararat Legacy Inc. Remembering Veterans of all Wars $5,318 Ararat Legacy Inc. Project Remembrance 2017 $2,187 Battle of Australian Foundation in Victoria Battle for Australia Ceremony $10,000 Bomber Command Commemorative Assoc. Vic Inc. Service for Victorians Serving in Bomber Command $1,000 Borough of Queenscliffe Borough of Queenscliffe Anzac Day Commemorations Carry On (Victoria) Education Assistance Grants 2017 $35,000 Cohuna/Leitchville RSL Sub Branch Inc. Install WWII Memorial Plaque $20,000 Darwin Defenders 1942-1945 Commemoration of Anniversary of Bombing of Darwin $4,500 Donald 2000 Inc. Remove, Relocate, Refurbish, Renew and Remember $6,623 Geelong Legacy Club Schools' ANZAC Ceremony Shrine of Remembrance $1,500 Mallacoota & District Historical Society Inc. Documentary Film Production for Museum $16,600 Melbourne Legacy Melbourne Legacy 2017 Tertiary Scholarships $17,500 Melbourne Legacy Melbourne Legacy 2017 Education Grants $20,000 Melbourne Legacy 2017 Legacy ANZAC Students Commemoration Ceremony $18,000 Mt Macedon Memorial Cross Council for Commemorative Services Inc. 2017 Mt Macedon ANZAC Dawn Service $8,000 National Boer War Memorial Boer War Day Commemoration $3,000 Association (Vic) Parade and Service Reserve Forces Day Council (VIC) Inc. Reserve Forces Day Parade $3,000 Rotary Club of Monash Rotary Club of Monash Anzac Service for Schools $2,500 Sale RSL & Community Club Provision of Memorabilia Display Cabinets $864 Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust War Heritage Booklet $8,805 Terang RSL Recruiting Posters WW1 and WW11 $2,240 The Craigieburn War Memorial & Remembrance Committee Inc. Craigieburn ANZAC Day Service $727 Torquay RSL Sub Branch Torquay RSL ANZAC Day Dawn Service $10,000 Tyabb Railway Station Primary School Tyabb Railway Station Primary School ANZAC Garden $1,000 Wangaratta High School Wangaratta High School Commemorative Project $2,738 Warburton RSL Sub Branch Schools Excursions $4,000 Woady Yaloak Primary School Ross Creek Campus Ross Creek's WWI Digitised Memorial Book $1,900
Reviewed 19 November 2019