A vision for volunteering in Victoria
‘Volunteering transforms our communities, supports and strengthens individuals and organisations and is a foundation for everything Victorians do.’
Volunteering in Victoria provides empowering, flexible, accessible, inclusive, connecting, valued and collaborative experiences.
Goals and priority outcomes
Goal one: Making volunteering inclusive and accessible
- Volunteers and volunteering opportunities represent the breadth of the Victorian community.
- Socioeconomic and structural factors and discrimination relating to culture, ethnicity, religion, Aboriginality, disability, gender identity and sexual orientation that present barriers to taking part are reduced to support opportunities for a broader range of community members.
- Volunteer-involving organisations (VIOs) employ inclusive engagement strategies to broaden and diversify the range of people recruited and maintained as volunteers in their organisations.
- Partnerships between VIOs and organisations with specialist expertise in diverse communities to provide pathways to volunteering and to increase the capacity of VIOs.
Goal two: Making volunteering flexible and easier
- Community groups use a range of strategies to effectively connect with volunteers.
- Victorians can volunteer in flexible, short-term, informal and virtual ways that make it easy to give back to their community.
- Recruitment, screening and induction processes match the role and are streamlined where possible.
Goal three: Supporting volunteers to be resilient, supported and empowered
- Volunteers have safe, effective and rewarding experiences. Their rights and responsibilities are understood and protected.
- Volunteers have the right resources, tools and supports.
Goal four: Creating volunteering connections and pathways
- Victorians can develop skills and experience and explore new interests through volunteering.
- Volunteering facilitates connections and networks. It offers pathways to education and work and from work to retirement.
- Victorians can add value to their local communities and beyond through a lifetime journey of volunteering.
Goal five: Ensuring volunteering is recognised and celebrated
- Strong community awareness encourages participation and respect for those who volunteer.
- The value and impact of volunteering, in all its forms, is celebrated.
- learning and development
- place-based, local approaches
- leadership and governance
- specialist services
- collaborations and partnerships
- evidence and data.