Victoria government logo

There are many pathways into a fulfilling job and career in the community services sector.

Community services jobs make a positive difference to the lives of so many. Join us and you can too. They are professional and valued.

The types and range of jobs are as varied as the Victorian communities we support and empower.

There are jobs right across community services right now needing your transferrable skills, jobs where you can learn while you work and ways for volunteers to access training and translate this into jobs.

There are also specialised jobs which require degree or diploma qualifications or certificate-level training.

The sector needs people in frontline roles and people in support roles; everyone is part of the bigger picture to help build a thriving Victoria.

We encourage you to find out more no matter what your training or experience or if you are a job changer or younger job seeker or highly qualified.

  • You don’t need a degree to start your career in Child and Family Services. You can enter the sector with Certificate 3 or Certificate 4 in youth workExternal Link or community servicesExternal Link . Working in child and family services is a great opportunity to broaden your skills and knowledge.

    Qualifications that can help you build and further a career in the child and family services sector, include:

    Roles and qualifications that can help you build and further a career in child and family services, include:

  • The role of the child protection practitioner requires specialist child welfare knowledge and the ability to exercise legal delegations. It’s critical that staff are well prepared and able to practice in this dynamic and challenging environment.

    Roles that can help you build and further a career in child protection, include:

    • Case Practice Support
    • Child Protection Practitioner
    • Advanced Child Protection Practitioner
    • Senior Child Protection Practitioner
    • Child Protection Practice Leader
    • Child Protection Expert Practice
    • Child Protection Principal Practitioner
    • Child Protection Deputy Area Operations Manager
    • Child Protection Area Operations Manager

    Qualifications required include:

    Find out if your degree is recognised - Australian Association of Social WorkersExternal Link )

    • a related welfare degree such as a recognised Diploma of Community Services WorkExternal Link , or similar qualification that is studied over a minimum of two academic years full-time (or part time equivalent) and includes;
      • a primary focus on child development, human behaviour, family dynamics and/or impacts of trauma
      • supervised fieldwork placements (ideally completed within the child and family welfare sector) and at least one unit of study in case management, case work practice or counselling.

    Find out if your diploma is recognised - Australian Community Workers AssociationExternal Link

    A current and valid driver's licence and Working with Children's checkExternal Link is required for all roles.

  • You don’t always need a qualification to start your career in disability. People find success in entry-level support roles by bringing their varied life experiences, professional expertise and people skills.

    Some of the skills and attributes employers in the disability sector often look for, include:

    • interest in supporting people reach their potential
    • effective verbal and written communication skills
    • good interpersonal skills
    • initiative
    • problem-solving skills/solution-focused approach
    • teamwork and collaboration
    • planning and organising skills
    • literacy, basic numeracy and computer skills
    • attention to detail
    • reliable, dependable, trustworthy and flexible.

    Employers may also preference candidates to have one or more of the following:

    • First Aid certificate
    • Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate
    • Working with Children Check (WCC)
    • current driver’s licence
    • food safety certificate.

    Once you’re in the job you’ll have the opportunity to complete one or more of these certificates.

    Qualifications that can help you build and further a career in the disability sector, include:

    There are also accredited training courses to support advancing a career in disability. Find out more about these training courses on the Victorian Skills GatewayExternal Link website.

  • With so many different types of roles in the family violence and sexual assault sectors, a wide variety of skills, experience and qualifications are needed. Some response practitioners require specialist skills and experience, but the requirements are much broader for roles in fields such as:

    • corporate services
    • administration
    • project and policy work
    • education and training
    • communications
    • legal and court advocacy
    • therapeutic support and counselling
    • primary prevention.

    Qualifications for specialist family violence workers

    Specialist family violence workers provide direct specialist services to victim survivors and/or people using violence, such as:

    • safety planning
    • assessment and intake
    • case management and service navigation.

    Specialist family violence workers will be required to hold or be working towards a Bachelor of Social Work or equivalent formal learning, including holding a Bachelor degree or above. But there are different ways to get there and you might be closer than you think to achieving the requirement. A variety of disciplines and professional backgrounds are needed throughout the sector.

    Find out more about the mandatory minimum qualifications for specialist family violence practitionersExternal Link .

    Qualifications for Men’s Behaviour Change workers

    Men’s Behaviour Change workers require a relevant tertiary undergraduate degree in social work, psychology, counselling or a related subject. A principal facilitator will require completion of a graduate diploma or certificate qualification in men’s family violence.

    Find information about 'Men’s Behaviour Change Minimum Standards' on the No to ViolenceExternal Link website.

    Qualifications for sexual assault workers

    Practitioners in specialist sexual assault services have at least degree-level qualifications (or equivalent certification from nationally accredited providers) in a range of relevant fields. Examples include psychology, counselling, social work, occupational therapy, family therapy, creative arts therapies, and community mental health nursing.

    Find out what employers are looking for by searching the jobs on the Family Violence Jobs PortalExternal Link .

  • In the housing and homelessness sector, some roles do require qualifications while others don’t – it just depends on the role. There are entry-level positions as well as leadership opportunities for people with extensive experience. On-the-job training and professional development opportunities may be available once in a role.

    Qualifications that can help you build and further a career in the housing and homelessness services, include:

    Roles and qualifications that can help you build and further a career in housing and homelessness, include:

    • Housing Customer Services Officer level 1 – No qualifications
    • Housing Customer Services Officer level 1 – Certificate III in Customer Engagement
    • Housing Customer Services Officer level 2 – Certificate IV in Business
    • Housing Services Officer level 2 – Certificate IV in Housing
    • Housing Services Officer level 3 – Certificate IV in Housing
    • Field Services Officer – Recognised trade qualification and/or relevant building experience
    • Team Leader – Certificate IV in Housing or equivalent
    • Team Manager – Certificate IV in Housing or equivalent
    • Housing Manager – Certificate IV in Housing or equivalent.

Reviewed 29 August 2022

Was this page helpful?