Role of the Regulatory Authority
The Department of Education is the Regulatory Authority for early childhood services in Victoria under the following regulatory schemes:
- the National Quality Framework
- the Victorian Children’s Services regulatory scheme:
- regulation of the (CSS) for all early childhood services in Victoria under the Child Wellbeing and Safety Act 2005.
The Secretary of the department delegates the functions and powers of the Regulatory Authority to the Quality Assessment and Regulation Division (QARD) to administer and enforce the law and regulations.
QARD undertakes the full range of functions and powers provided to the Regulatory Authority under all three schemes to promote the safety, health and well-being of children attending early childhood services in Victoria.
Role of the Child Safe Standards regulator
Ministerial Statement of Expectations
- promoting their safety, health and well-being
- improving their educational and developmental outcomes.
The QARD Regulatory Framework explains how we undertake our regulatory functions, including driving continuous quality improvement in education and care services:
QARD Annual report
The QARD Annual Report discusses our role and activities.
Reviewed 28 June 2023