Employers have responsibilities towards you.
You have responsibilities towards your employer and your co-workers.
Your employer is responsible for making sure that the workplace is safe, and that your health and safety are not put at risk.
You are responsible for looking after your own health and safety. You must also take care not to put other people at risk.
You could put other people at risk by:
- acting in an unsafe manner
- not following agreed safe work practices
- not acting to report a situation which could result in someone getting hurt.
To ensure the safety of yourself and others, make sure you are aware of the correct safety procedures at your place of work. This means:
- listening very carefully to safety information provided by your employer
- asking for clarification, help or instructions if you're not sure about how to perform any task safely.
Students can complete the following Health and Safety Responsibilities activities: