Wildlife events

Wildlife events allow wildlife licence holders to attend with their wildlife, share knowledge and breeding opportunities, and promote the lawful keeping of wildlife.

What is a wildlife event?

Wildlife interest groups have a long history of holding public events across Victoria for the display and trade of wildlife. These events enable licence holders to:

  • meet people with similar interests
  • share knowledge
  • expand breeding opportunities
  • promote the lawful keeping of wildlife to a wider audience

Approved events are published in the Victorian Government Gazette and this website.

The notice for an approved event includes the:

  • name of the event
  • organiser
  • date
  • venue
  • category of wildlife licence holders

The notice also includes any conditions that event participants must comply with, in addition to existing legal requirements.

We can approve wildlife events under the Wildlife Regulations 2013, so holders of wildlife licences can display, buy, sell, acquire, receive, keep, or possess wildlife in accordance with their licence and the event conditions imposed.

Changes to the Wildlife Regulations allow licence holders attending approved wildlife events to remove their record books from the premises to help with the record-keeping requirements of the licence.

Apply to host a wildlife event

Download and complete the application form

In your application, you need to include:

  • licence types allowed to attend and any proposed conditions or restrictions for the event (for example no venomous snakes)
  • protocols for public safety and the welfare and security of wildlife
  • proof of public liability insurance in the name of the event organiser for not less than $10 million

Further details are specified on the application form.

Submit your application

An application to conduct a wildlife event must be lodged via email to on behalf of a:

  • body corporate
  • registered business
  • organisation with an ABN 

Do I need to apply to attend a wildlife event with my wildlife?

If the event has been approved by the Conservation Regulator you do not need to apply to attend with either your wildlife or your record book.

Any event that has been approved by the Conservation Regulator will be published in the Victorian Government Gazette and on this website.

However, you may need to register with the event organiser and will need to abide by any of the conditions specified in the event approval for an individual event.

Can I take my wildlife off the specified premises for other reasons?

The Wildlife Regulations 2013 already include exemptions allowing licence holders to take wildlife to a vet for treatment and other specific reasons.

Unless specifically allowed for under these exemptions or unless the wildlife is attending an approved wildlife event, the keeping of wildlife at an address other than that specified on your licence would require prior written approval from the Conservation Regulator under regulation 62(1)(a) of the Wildlife Regulations.

I am from interstate. Can I attend a wildlife event in Victoria with my wildlife?

Wildlife events apply only to the holders of an appropriate Victorian wildlife licence.  

Please be aware that different states and territories have different wildlife laws and that a licence or permit issued by another State and Territory is not valid in Victoria.

If you'd like to bring wildlife into Victoria to attend a wildlife event, allow 2 to 3 weeks lead-time in order to obtain a Victorian:

  • wildlife licence and/or
  • an import permit

In Victoria a wildlife licence is not required for species listed in Part A & Part B of Schedule 4 of the Wildlife Regulations 2013.

An import permit is not required for species listed in Part A of Schedule 4 of the Wildlife Regulations 2013.

Can I purchase or sell wildlife at a wildlife event?

Buying or selling of animals at a wildlife event will depend on:

  • the conditions for the wildlife event
  • any rules set by the event organiser
  • the licensing requirements (for example, you have an appropriate wildlife licence) 
  • whether an export permit is required (if you live interstate)

Reviewed 26 April 2021

Contact us

Conservation Regulator

Was this page helpful?