Import and export permits for Victorian wildlife

Transporting wildlife in or out of Victoria may require a permit. Restrictions may also apply.

Apply for an import and export permit

To import or export wildlife you must have a permit. Allow 3 to 5 business days to process your application.

Download and complete the application form:

Submit your completed application by email:

Import and export restrictions

To transport wildlife into Victoria (import) or out of Victoria (export), wildlife must be self-sufficient. This means the wildlife:

  • must not be an egg
  • must not be injured or diseased
  • must be able to feed itself
  • (if a flighted bird) must be able to fly
  • (if a flightless bird) must be at least 4 weeks old
  • (if a mammal) must be fully weaned.

If wildlife is not self-sufficient, you need to contact us for specific approval by email:

We will advise you if the import or export permit can be issued.

Wildlife being transported into Victoria can only be approved if the person receiving the wildlife has a valid wildlife licence, authorisation or permit.

When is a permit not required?

An import permit or export permit is not required to transport:

  • emu egg-shells (empty shells only)
  • cast or shed wildlife feathers, sloughed skins of reptiles or cast antlers of deer
  • wildlife listed in Part A of Schedule 4 or parts of wildlife listed in Part B of Schedule 5 of the Wildlife Regulations 2013
  • specified birds in Schedule 1 of the Wildlife Act 1975
  • dead game that has been obtained in a legal manner from a legal source (e.g. with an appropriate game licence under the Wildlife (Game) Regulations 2012).

Permits are not required for the following wildlife

    • king quail (excalfactoria chinensis)
    • pheasant-all taxa (phasianus spp)
    • partridge-all taxa (perdix spp)
    • non-indigenous quail - all taxa (including Californian quail and Japanese/European quail)             
    • alectoris spp - all taxa (including callipepla californica and coturnix coturnix)
    • budgerigar (melopsittacus undulatus)
    • zebra finch (taeniopygia guttata)
    • cockatiel (nymphicus hollandicus)
    • bourke’s parrot (neopsephotus bourkii).

    Parts of the following taxa of wildlife

    • emu (and the shells of eggs) (Dromaius novaehollandiae).
    • freshwater crocodile (crocodylus johnstoni)
    • saltwater crocodile (crocodylus porosus).
    • common brushtail possum  (trichosurus vulpecula)       
    • western grey kangaroo (macropus fuliginosus melanops)
    • eastern grey kangaroo (macropus giganteus)
    • whiptail wallaby (macropus parryi)
    • common wallaroo (euro) (macropus robustus)
    • red-necked wallaby (macropus rufogriseus)
    • red kangaroo (macropus rufus)
    • rufous-bellied pademelon (thyllogale billardierii).

    Also included

    • dead game that has been obtained from a legal source.

Australian wildlife laws 

Different wildlife laws apply in different states or territories within Australia, so you should always check with the responsible agency in the relevant state.

An export permit is required if you intend to transport wildlife out of Victoria to any other state or territory within Australia.

An import permit is required if you intend to transport wildlife into Victoria from any other state or territory within Australia.

Contact the DELWP Customer Service Centre on 136 186 for further information.

Importing and exporting wildlife from Australia

Import and export permits may be required for the transport of wildlife and wildlife products into and out of Australia.

For more information, contact the Commonwealth Department of Environment:

Visit: Wildlife Trade Regulation page
Phone: (02) 6274 1900

Reviewed 30 June 2021

Contact us

Conservation Regulator

Was this page helpful?