Commercial Licence obligations and record keeping

Requirements for commercial wildlife holders. Find licence conditions, record keeping, annual return forms and how to update your personal information.

Licence conditions

It is the licence holder’s obligation to understand and abide by the conditions of their licence and the rules established in the Wildlife Regulations 2013 and the Wildlife Act 1975.

Once you receive your licence and record book, you are able to keep and trade wildlife.

Specified premises

Any wildlife being held under a wildlife dealer, wildlife farmer, wildlife processor or wildlife taxidermist licence must be kept at the address specified on the licence. The only exception is if the licence holder is going to or returning from a veterinarian or is trading an animal with another licence holder.

A commercial wildlife licence only applies to a single premise which must be listed on the licence.

Record keeping

5 key record keeping obligations are required as condition of a wildlife licence.

Failure to keep accurate and up-to-date records is an offence under the Wildlife Act 1975.

Record books

Licence holders must maintain complete and accurate records of all wildlife transactions in the record book issued with their licence. All wildlife transactions must be recorded in your record book by the close of the same business day.

Entries must be permanent and legible. Record books must not be tampered with – this includes erasing, or editing entries, removing pages, or damaging your record book in any way.

You must ensure that your record book is kept safe and secure at all times – licence holders must report damaged, lost and stolen record books.

The record book remains the property of the Conservation Regulator. Should you choose not to renew, or surrender your wildlife, your record book must be returned to us within 10 business days.

Wildlife displayers are also required to keep additional records relating to the opening and closing times of their premises.

Wildlife demonstrators are required to keep a log of all wildlife demonstrations, include the date, time and venue of all wildlife demonstrations.

Wildlife processors receiving kangaroos as part of the Kangaroo Pet Food Trial are required to record additional information as specified on the licence.

Annual return forms

You must submit a completed return form by 14 April each year, detailing wildlife in your possession and any transactions that occurred during the 12-month period ending 31 March.

A return form can be found on the back of your licence or can be downloaded here:

A Return Form must be submitted even if you:

  • have not acquired any wildlife
  • no longer have wildlife in your possession
  • have not bought, sold or traded any wildlife
  • have not caught any wildlife (if you are a Wildlife Controller).

In these instances, licence holders should mark their Return as 'Nil' and submit by 14 April.

Changes in personal details

You must inform us of any changes to your personal details recorded on your licence (including name, contact details and address).

You must also inform us of any changes to the nominated person responsible for managing the premises specified in the licence.

If any details are incorrect, complete and return the licence amendment form below. An amended licence will be posted to you. you must notify us within 10 business days of any changes.

Changes to employee employment status

Inform us of any changes to the employment status of any employees who undertake activities in accordance with your wildlife licence. You must notify us within 10 business days of any changes.

Escaped or stolen wildlife or lost Record Book

Inform us if your wildlife has escaped or been stolen, or if your record book is missing or has been destroyed. You must report these issues within 2 business days of becoming aware of the loss. If you report theft of wildlife to the police, you should retain a copy of any police report.

Renewing a Commercial Wildlife Licence

Commercial wildlife licences issued after 1 July 2018 have a common expiry date of 30 June 2019 or 2021.

Licence holders will receive a renewal notice approximately 4 to 6 weeks before their licence expires on 30 June of the relevant year.

More information

These forms are also available by calling the DELWP Customer Service Centre on 136 186.

Visit Wildlife Regulations 2013for the current wildlife regulations in Victoria. Additional licence conditions may apply.

  • The Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions has a number of mandatory and voluntary codes of practice which have minimum standards and practices for keeping wildlife.  Mandatory codes of practice include:

    • Code of Practice for the keeping of amphibians in captivity.
    • Code of Practice for the housing of caged birds.
    • Code of Practice for the welfare of animals: private keeping of reptiles.
    • Code of Practice for the public display and exhibition of animals.

    Holders of a Wildlife Dealer Licence operating from a pet shop are also subject to the Code of Practice for the Operation of Pet Shops.

    Further information can be found on the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions website, or by phoning 136 186.

Reviewed 30 June 2021

Contact us

Conservation Regulator

Was this page helpful?