Victoria government logo

Wildlife in schools

Schools can obtain permits to keep some wildlife species for non-invasive classroom observation. Animal welfare codes of practice must be followed.

Animal welfare

Schools must obtain a permit for these activities and also comply with all requirements of the Australian Animal Welfare Standards Code of Practice.External Link

School authorisation permits

Government and Catholic schools can download a general authorisation permit for some species. The permit must be signed by the principal of that school.

School Permit
Government schools
Catholic schools
Independent schools To apply for permission to conduct this activity at an independent school, please contact the DELWP Customer Service Centre on 136 186 or by email

Reviewed 30 October 2022

Contact us

Was this page helpful?