In 2015 Victoria established Australia's first Equality portfolio. It has a , Martin Foley MP, and a Commissioner for Gender and Sexuality, Ro Allen. The portfolio is supported by a broad based and an Equality branch. The portfolio is in the .
We're committed to:
- removing discrimination from Victorian laws, services and society
- promoting inclusion and celebrating diversity
Our role and responsibilities
The Equality branch champions diversity and inclusion through developing whole-of-government policy and programs to support LGBTIQ communities.
We do this by:
- strengthening and supporting the LGBTIQ sector, including leaders, peer support and service organisations
- assisting and building networks of LGBTIQ people and organisations including those across rural and regional Victoria
- to remove discrimination and enable equality
- supporting review and reform of government programs to ensure LGBTIQ inclusion, including in the health, education and justice systems
- challenging discrimination. This includes funding initiatives to increase visibility, celebrate inclusion and advocate respect for all
With the assistance of the Commissioner and Taskforce, we are fortunate to hear the rich voices of the diverse LGBTIQ communities from across the state. We work in partnership toward achieving equality for all.
Reviewed 02 August 2019