Clean-up support for bushfire-damaged homes

If your home was damaged by February 2024 Western Victoria bushfires and is not covered by insurance, support is available.

This page is for people affected by the February 2024 Western Victorian bushfires.

It outlines the support available for the clean-up of their bushfire damaged homes.

If you need it, recovery support is also available for the February 2024 Victorian storms and December 2023-January 2024 Victorian storms and floods.

Demolition of bushfire-damaged homes

If your home was damaged by the bushfires in late February 2024 and it is not covered by insurance, we can demolish it for free. This means that you can focus your efforts and resources on rebuilding.

You can register for demolition if:

  • your home or rental property is in an eligible council area (see list below), and
  • your home or rental property was affected by the bushfires in late February 2024, and
  • you don’t have bushfire insurance or you are underinsured for bushfire.

List of eligible council areas

What happens after I register?

A member of the team will call you to complete your registration and book in a site inspection.

A qualified contractor will visit your property to assess the site. They will make a plan to undertake any work that is eligible under the program. This plan could also include work to:

  • allow access to the site if needed
  • remove damaged trees or other hazards that could make it unsafe for the contractor.

If parts of your property are important to you, it is important that you let the contractor know early. They can then consider this in their planning. Due to safety on site and the scope of the program, they may not be able to accommodate all requests.

The program does not include partial demolition, or any rebuild or repair work.

The contractor will submit their plan to us. They will meet you on site again to agree the scope of works. If you want to go ahead, you will need to agree to the scope of work in a timely manner, including making time to meet the contractor on site.

Register for demolition

Fill out the form below or call the Emergency Recovery Hotline on 1800 560 760 to register.

If your home is insured

If your home is insured, you are not eligible for free demolition. You should contact your insurance provider.

If you need some help understanding how to make a claim or what you might be entitled to, you can access our Recovery Support program. You can also contact any of the following services:

Recovery Support Program

If you have been affected by the February 2024 Western Victorian bushfires, support is available to help you in your recovery.

Find out about our Recovery Support Program.