JavaScript is required

Rebuilding support – bushfire recovery

Learn more about rebuilding support after the 2019–20 bushfires

Rebuilding after a bushfire is a big job. Everybody has different circumstances and will make different choices, and that’s okay. 

We know that not everyone wants to rebuild straight away. You can access support when you are ready.  

Rebuilding Support Service

The Rebuild Support Service (RSS) is a free one-stop shop that provides support to people who are rebuilding after the 2019–20 Eastern Victorian bushfires. It has been designed for you to access at any stage of your rebuild. 

The RSS is delivered by East Gippsland Shire Council and Towong Shire Council and can offer you access to: 

  • dedicated planning and permit information, support, and legal advice
  • advice from building experts
  • information on financial assistance options
  • information about other services you may be eligible for. 

Consideration for your rebuild

Even where the rebuilding process is straightforward, there are a lot of things to consider and decisions to make. 

  • Design resilience – there are benefits in adopting simple designs that can stand up to natural disasters.
  • Energy efficiency – any new homes need to meet the 6-star energy efficiency rating under the National Construction Code.
  • Bushfire protection – any new homes need to incorporate measures in their design in accordance with AS 3959 Construction of Buildings in Bushfire Prone Areas.
  • Location – the best way to minimise bushfire risk is to site buildings away from identified hazards.
  • Building structure – there are different approaches to construction to consider, like a traditional house built on-site, or a modular house which is built elsewhere and trucked to the site.
  • Landscaping and site treatments – in bushfire-prone areas it’s important to think about landscaping to reduce the potential risk to your new home.

Contact details

The Rebuild Support Service is here to help. Find support:  

East Gippsland Shire

Towong Shire