February 2024 Victorian storms

Recovery support for people and communities affected by the February 2024 Victorian storms.

Recovery support is available

To get help, call the Emergency Recovery Hotline on 1800 560 760.

The hotline is open from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday. Press 9 for an interpreter.

You can also register for recovery support online.

If you are in immediate danger, call 000.

Recovery support in your area

If you have been affected by the February 2024 Victorian storms, support is available to help you in your recovery.

Find out about our Recovery Support Program.

Clean-up support

Storm damaged homes

Clean-up support is available if:

  • your home or rental property was affected by the February 2024 Victorian storms
  • your home or rental property is in an eligible council area
  • you are uninsured or under-insured for damage caused by the February 2024 Victorian storms.

Find out if you are eligible and register for Clean-up support

Street Debris Removal Program

We are helping councils in areas affected by the February 2024 Victorian storms to coordinate, remove and dispose of storm waste and debris where they need it

Councils will lead the street debris removal with the support of our lead contractor, Hansen Yuncken. Once the waste and debris has been safely collected, it will be taken to a suitable waste management facility for processing.

Councils involved in the program will let eligible residents know:

  • waste and debris collection dates
  • where to leave the debris
  • other important information related to the clean-up.

For more information, please contact your local council directly or call the Emergency Recovery Hotline on 1800 560 760.

Storm debris in Mirboo North

Clean-up of storm debris in Mirboo North township and surrounds is underway.

If you live in Mirboo North township and surrounds, please move your storm debris to the front of your property, outside the fence line. Do not put general household or property waste outside your property. It will not be collected.

Find out more information on the South Gippsland Shire Council website.

Financial help

Emergency re-establishment assistance

Emergency re-establishment assistance is available for eligible community members impacted by the storms in Victoria.

Who can get the payment

You might be able to get this payment if you:

  • do not have much money to fix your home damaged by a major emergency
  • do not have building or contents insurance
  • cannot return home because it is damaged or destroyed
  • cannot get to your home for more than 7 days because of a major emergency.

Payment amount

The amount of money you get depends on things like:

  • the number of people who live in your home
  • how much of your house is damaged
  • how much money you earn.

You can use this money for:

  • cleaning up your home or property
  • staying somewhere else
  • repairs to your home
  • rebuilding your home
  • replacing damaged contents.

How to apply

For information about how to apply for this payment, call the Emergency Recovery Hotline on 1800 560 760 (press 9 for an interpreter).

Someone from the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing might also contact you about applying for a re-establishment assistance payment. They will be able to help you apply.

You will need to show us some documents as part of your application. You will need to show proof of:

  • identity, for example, a driver licence or passport
  • income, for example, a payslip or Centrelink payment summary
  • insurance status, for example, a document from your insurance company
  • impact on your home, for example, photos of damages or quotes for repairs.


Translated resources

Prolonged power outage payment

If your household or small business was without power for 7 days cumulatively, within a 2-week (14 day) period, from Tuesday 13 February to Tuesday 27 February as a result of severe weather events on Tuesday 13 February and Thursday 22 February, you may be eligible for a Prolonged Power Outage Payment.

AusNet Services has reached out to all eligible customers to apply online.

If you have not been contacted and believe you are eligible, you can access claim forms on AusNet’s website.

Emergency relief payments - applications closed

Applications for emergency relief payments for the February 2024 Victorian storms are closed.

Emergency relief payments are designed to provide immediate financial help for relief needs for eligible Victorians experiencing extreme financial hardship due to the storms.

What to do if your home has been damaged

Check your home and property for damage. Call your insurance company to organise any insurance matters, and remember to take photos of damage.

Electricity, gas and water supplies may be disrupted. If your property has been damaged, have all utilities checked and tested by a licenced technician before you use them.

Depending on your situation you should:

  • Contact your insurer to make a claim or arrange permanent repairs.
  • Contact a professional tradesperson to repair damage or remove debris, if required.

If you need to organise repairs to your home, Consumer Affairs Victoria has advice to help with clean up, repairs and building issues in a disaster(opens in a new window).

Call SES on 132 500 if:

  • A tree has fallen and caused structural damage to your home or vehicle
  • There is damage to your roof or it is leaking significantly
  • A large tree or branch has fallen and is preventing you from entering or leaving your home
  • Your property is flooded or about to flood.

Other available support

If you would like to support those affected by the Victorian storms, you can donate through the not-for-profit donation service GIVIT(opens in a new window).