The Victorian Government commitment to diversity and inclusion (D&I)
The Victorian Government has committed to achieving its long-term vision for inclusion by significantly investing in approaches that aim to make a more inclusive and equitable society.
It has recently developed the following strategies:
- Safe and Strong, Victoria’s Gender Equality Strategy 2016
- Absolutely Everyone: State Disability Plan 2017-2020
- Every opportunity: Victorian economic participation plan for people with disability 2018-2020
- Victorian Aboriginal Affairs Framework 2018-2023
- Victoria’s Multicultural Policy Statement 2017
- Victoria’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Health and Wellbeing Action Plan 2014-2018
- Ending Family Violence: Victoria’s Plan for Change 2016
What do we want to achieve?
The Department of Premier and Cabinet (DPC) is working towards a workforce that is genuinely inclusive and better reflects the diversity of the communities it serves. DPC aims to ensure that government policy and programs are inclusive for all Victorians and continually strives to match this effort internally.
DPC’s Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2019-2021 (the Strategy) provides an opportunity to acknowledge and reflect on the real challenges and opportunities for people in a working environment that is not yet reflective of the communities it represents. In the implementation of this strategy, DPC will work towards:
- improving the representation of women and people from diverse backgrounds in senior leadership positions
- understanding and addressing any structural barriers (real or perceived) to employment and potential employment, due to personal circumstance or characteristic
- mainstreaming diversity practices in our business and operational plans
- establishing an accurate workforce profile and longitudinal data (evidence base) to measure and track performance
- ensuring culture surveys consistently show safety, visibility and inclusion for all employees across all levels of the organisation
- setting measurable targets and ensuring accountability for meeting our goals
- continuing to elevate its reputation and public image as a diverse and inclusive workplace.