How we are improving rooming houses

We're working hard to fix and regulate Victoria's rooming houses. Operators must apply for a licence and comply with standards. We're also renovating properties owned by the Director of Housing.

Rooming houses provide homes for Victorians who have been homeless or who are not able to live in private rental accommodation.

We are making sure that rooming houses are safe places to live.

In 2016 we introduced the Rooming House Operators Act 2016. People who run rooming houses must apply for a licence. Rooming house operators must also follow standards of hygiene, safety and security.

We are planning to renovate and upgrade rooming houses. We will be renovating rooming houses owned by the Director of Housing. We will also renovate community housing sector properties.

The Department of Health and Human Services looks after our Rooming House Upgrades program.