JavaScript is required

Starting primary school in Victoria

Learn about finding a school, enrolling and preparing your child to start primary school in Victoria.

The law in Victoria states that children must attend school from the age of 6. To enrol in government school, a child must turn 5 before 30 April of the year they start school.

There can be exemptions to the age policy, but these are very rare. For more information on school admission and the law, see the Department of Education's School Policy and Advisory Guide.

1. Choose your school

2. Enrol your child

3. Pay costs

4. Plan and prepare

5. Start school

6. Attend school