On this page:
- Top 10 road safety cameras for infringements issued
- Top 10 mobile road safety cameras for infringements issued
- Total infringements for speeding and red-light offences
- Speeding infringements (fixed and mobile cameras)
- Total infringements for red light offences
- Financial year overview
- Overview of statistics available
The following page provides data for April to June 2022 in relation to the various offences detected by the road safety camera system and the fines (infringements) associated with those offences.
Top 10 road safety cameras for infringements issued
|Camera site||Number of infringements issued|
|At the intersection of Rosanna Road and Darebin Street, Heidelberg (N) - Lane 1, 2, 3||13,123|
|At the intersection of Flinders Street and William Street, Melbourne - Lane 1, 2, 3||6,331|
|At the intersection of King Street and La Trobe Street, West Melbourne Lane - 1, 2, 3, 4||4,767|
|At the intersection of Fitzroy Street and Lakeside Drive, St Kilda - Lane 1, 2, 3||4,610|
|Park Street, Parkville - Mobile||4,494|
|At the intersection of Wyndham Street and High Street, Shepparton - Lane 1, 2, 3||2,999|
|At the intersection of Terminal Drive and Centre Road, Melbourne Airport - Lane 2, 3, 4, 5||2,806|
|Princes Freeway, Lara, Avalon Road Bridge, Melbourne Bound - Lane 1, 2, 3||2,745|
|At the intersection of Rosanna Road and Darebin Street, Heidelberg (S) - Lane 1, 2, 3||2,706|
|Western Ring Road, Sunshine West, Southbound, Boundary Road North Side Gantry - Lane 4||2,654|
- Camera-detected infringements (speeding, red light and unregistered) decreased by 10% when compared to previous quarter.
Top 10 mobile road safety cameras for infringements issued
|Camera site||Number of infringements issued|
|Park Street, Parkville between McVean Street and Dollman Street.||4,494|
|Kensington Road, Kensington between Dynon Road and Devon Street.||2,105|
|Ballarat Road, Footscray between Geelong Road and Jamieson Avenue.||2,029|
|High Street, Windsor between Punt Road and Porter Street.||1,769|
|Barkly Street, West Footscray between Summerhill Road and Ashley Street.||1,450|
|Princes Freeway, Bunyip between Wimpole Road and Tonimbuk Road.||1,421|
|Mitchell Street, Maidstone between Hampstead Road and Rosamond Road.||1,406|
|The Boulevard, Port Melbourne between Barak Road and Cumberland Road.||1,300|
|Derby Street, Pascoe Vale between O'Hea Street and Warwick Road.||1,243|
|Heaths Road, Hoppers Crossing between Derrimut Road and Mossfiel Drive.||1,176|
Victoria's mobile camera program is comprised of a network of mobile road safety cameras operating approximately 15,900 hours per month. Victoria Police has approved around 2,000 locations across Victoria.
Total infringements for speeding and red-light offences
|Q4 (Apr - Jun) 2021-22||339,512|
|Q3 (Jan - Mar) 2021-22||376,819|
|Q4 (Apr - Jun) 2020-21||336,011|
- There was a 12% decrease in speeding infringements when compared to the previous quarter.
Speeding infringements (fixed and mobile cameras)
|Speeding categories||Q4 (Apr - Jun) 2021-22||Q3 (Jan - Mar) 2021-22||Q4 (Apr - Jun) 2020-21|
|Exceed speed by less than 10km/h||233,025||259,842||236,313|
|Exceed speed by 10km/h but less than 15km/h||47,297||56,571||47,702|
|Exceed speed by 15km/h but less than 25km/h||16,196||21,220||16,865|
|Exceed speed by 25km/h but less than 30km/h||1,737||1,738||1,613|
|Exceed speed by 30km/h but less than 35km/h||763||783||761|
|Exceed speed by 35km/h but less than 40km/h||466||452||424|
|Exceed speed by 40km/h but less than 45km/h||249||263||226|
|Exceed speed by 45km/h or more||256||317||224|
|Exceed speed by more than 20km/h in 110km/h zone||148||95||120|
Speeding infringements detected by both fixed and mobile cameras:
- decreased by 12% compared to the previous quarter (January – March 2022)
- increased by 1% compared to the same period last year (April – June 2021).
Total infringements for red light offences
|Q4 (Apr - Jun) 2021-22||39,375|
|Q3 (Jan - Mar) 2021-22||35,538|
|Q4 (Apr - Jun) 2020-21||31,763|
- There was an 11% increase in red light infringements when compared to the previous quarter.
Financial year overview
- 2021-22 statistics
- 2020-21 statistics
- 2019-20 statistics
- 2018-19 statistics
- 2017-18 statistics
- 2016-17 statistics
- 2015-16 statistics
- 2014-15 statistics
Overview of statistics available
Driver compliance rates
Compares data on the number of vehicles that pass a road safety camera with infringements detected.
Data and graphs presenting the trends in speeding and unregistered vehicle fines for each highway camera system in Victoria.
Fines by category
Shows the number of fines and official warnings issued by Victoria Police for speeding, red-light and unpaid toll offences, including specific data for:
- Official warnings vs fines
- Speeding categories – fixed and mobile cameras
- Speeding categories – highway cameras
Fines by location
Includes quarterly and yearly lists of the top road safety camera locations by total number of fines issued, including specific data for:
- Top 50 cameras
- Top 20 cameras – speed offences
- Top 20 cameras – red-light offences
- Fines ($) by camera and system
Frequently asked questions
Issue date vs. offence date
- Infringements may not be issued on the date the offence was detected. However, the infringement notice will include both dates, the date that the offence occurred (offence date) and the date the infringement notice was issued (issue date), depending on the purpose of the data.
- The issue date is always after the offence date. In the case of road safety cameras this is because of the rigorous verification procedures undertaken to ensure the validity of the infringement notice.
- All data on the Cameras Save Lives website is based on the offence date, unless otherwise indicated.
- Offences detected in one quarter may not have an infringement issued until the next quarter.
Reviewed 01 May 2023