Victoria government logo

A fine is issued when a road safety camera detects a speeding, red light or an unregistered vehicle offence.

Options for dealing with a fine

If you receive a speeding, red light or unregistered vehicle fine, you have at least 28 days to pay. Options for dealing with a fine include:

If you have been fined for travelling more than 25 km/h over the limit some of these options may not be available to you.

For more information visit Link

Official warning

Victoria Police can withdraw a fine and issue an official warning in its place. Each application for an official warning is judged on a case-by-case basis.

For more information about official warnings, including grounds for review and how to apply, visit Link

If you do not take action

If you don’t pay your fine and ignore all reminders to pay, Fines Victoria may issue an enforcement warrant and the results can be quite costly. The Sheriff can enforce an unpaid enforcement warrant by:

  • seizing and selling your property
  • suspending your driver licence
  • suspending your vehicle's registration
  • preventing the renewal of your vehicle's registration
  • wheel clamping your vehicle
  • as a final option, arresting you.

For more information, visit the sheriff operations in Victoria pageExternal Link on the Department of Justice and Community Safety website.

The Family Violence SchemeExternal Link is an option if your experience of family violence has substantially contributed to your fines.

Support is also availableExternal Link for vulnerable or disadvantaged people and those needing further assistance.

More information about road safety camera fines and demerit points

Reviewed 01 May 2023

Was this page helpful?