Victoria government logo
Teaching in Victoria, Australia

Why living and teaching in Victoria is a positive career move

Victoria is a wonderful place to live and work within Australia, especially if you’re a teacher. With a range of permanent, fixed term, and full and part-time positions ready and waiting there’s never been a better time to make the move. Taking a job in Victoria provides you with the perfect opportunity to grow your career and progress your teaching skills. Plus, when you’re not teaching, there are endless wonderful things to see and do.

Don’t take our word for it, hear from real teachers about what it is really like working in the profession and what they love about teaching in Victoria.

Series 1: Subject Matters vodcast – a guide to teaching in VictoriaExternal Link

Plus, check out these links below for a taste of what’s on offer when you’re not teaching:

How to apply for teaching jobs in Victoria

Step 1: Register to teach in Victoria

Before you are able to be employed as a school teacher in Victoria, you must be registered as a school teacher with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT).

Being a registered school teacher means that you meet the VIT’s school teacher qualification requirements, are deemed as suitable to teach in a school by the VIT, and can maintain professional practice as specified by the VIT. To apply to be registered as a school teacher in Victoria you will need to provide key documents, including proof of your qualifications and a police check. The exact documents you need will be explained when you apply to the VIT.

For more information on Human Resources and how to apply to be a registered school teacher in Victoria see Human Resources: Recruitment OnlineExternal Link and How do I register?External Link

Mutual recognition

If you’re a registered school teacher in another Australian state or territory (or in New Zealand) you can apply for school teacher registration in Victoria under mutual recognition (MR).

For details on how to apply for ‘mutual recognition’ to teach in Victoria, visit Interstate or overseas teachersExternal Link

Overseas qualifications

All overseas registrants – regardless of the registration category they apply for – are required to provide evidence of their overseas qualifications so VIT can undertake an assessment to ensure equivalency to an approved initial teacher education (ITE) or early childhood (EC) program.

The documentation provided should include an academic transcript and evidence of completion, which includes details about number of days spent supervised practice teaching (sometimes referred to as student teaching), and the setting (primary or secondary) where supervised practice teaching days were completed.

If this is not listed on your official academic transcript, you must provide an official letter from your university containing this information.

Read VIT's Qualifications PolicyExternal Link to find out more.

If you have lived continuously in any country other than Australia for 12 consecutive months within the last ten (10) years, while over the age of 18, you will need to provide a certified copy of an overseas criminal record check (CRC) issued by the national police service from each overseas country you lived in covering the time you lived there under these criteria.

If you have completed any of your ITE or EC program or undergraduate studies outside of Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada or the Republic of Ireland, you may also be required to complete an English language competency test.

Visit VIT’s interstate or overseas teachersExternal Link page to find out more.

Step 2: Applying for roles

Once you’re qualified and registered to teach here in Victoria, you can use the department’s recruitment online systemExternal Link to find out which schools have teaching roles currently open for application.

Search for teaching jobs hereExternal Link .

After submitting your job application, you may be invited for an interview. School job selection panels choose the successful candidate based on a merit-based process which is assessed in the interview and written selection criteria. Merit is the relevant skills, personal qualities and abilities required to do well in the position.

Help with Recruitment Online and Schools Recruitment

For help with Recruitment Online or other school recruitment enquiries,

  • email:
  • phone: 1800 641 943, Select Options for Schools Recruitment - (free call from within Australia) or +800 0408 0408 (toll free from other countries).
  • phone support is available Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.30pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC + 10).

Why it pays to make the move to Victoria – targeted financial incentives and relocation support

There are so many great reasons to move your teaching career to Victoria, including financial incentives and support.

These can include relocation supports of up to $10,000; or financial incentives of between $9000 and $50,000, as well as annual retention payments, to take up hard to staff roles. Further information about targeted financial incentives and inclusions can be found at Targeted initiatives to attract more teachers.

For further information about relocation resources and reimbursements, refer to the Policy and GuidelinesExternal Link .

Reviewed 16 January 2023

Was this page helpful?