The financial incentives will provide recipients with an initial payment of up to $50,000 (before-tax) to attract suitably qualified teachers to relocate to hard-to-staff positions in Victorian government schools.
Annual Retention payments will be paid after the second, third and fourth year of employment and relocation costs for regional and rural positions are also available.
The Victorian Government is providing a funding boost to attract more teachers to fill hard-to-staff positions in government schools across the state, and support to those teachers to relocate to, and settle into their new roles. This investment incorporates and builds on previously announced initiatives to:
- improve educational outcomes for rural and regional students
- better support students in these areas
- address the disparity between regional and metropolitan schools.
Information for schools
How to apply
The Victorian Government is providing funding of $27 million for further financial incentives.
Further information will be provided to schools in Term 4, 2023, regarding how to access these incentives.
Information for teachers
Incentive payments will be offered to teachers meeting a set of eligibility criteria.
Further information on how teachers can access incentives will be provided shortly.
Criteria such as contextual knowledge and the school’s application are used to determine which positions attract a financial incentive.
- incentives of up to $50,000 (before-tax) will be available to eligible teachers who take up one of the hard-to-staff positions
- part-time positions will attract pro-rata incentive amounts equal to the time fraction advertised
- teachers who accept these positions will be required to commit to a minimum of two years of employment in the position
- annual retention payments will be paid after the second, third and fourth year of employment
- relocation support may be available to eligible teachers who take up one of the positions.
Refer to each advertised position to view the details of the available incentive.
Payment of incentive
After starting in the position, each eligible recipient will receive the incentive payment through central payroll.
Reviewed 11 September 2023