Grants are now available to support pre-service teachers (PST) completing a teaching placement in an eligible regional, remote or specialist Victorian government school.
Grant payments vary based on the below eligible areas:
- $140 per day for placements in a specialist setting in metropolitan Melbourne
- $140 per day for all schools in regional urban centres
- $280 per day for all schools in inner regional placements
- $420 per day for all schools in outer regional and remote placements
- Yellow - regional urban centres
- Light blue = inner regional
- Dark blue = outer regional and remote
- White = excluded
Local Government Area (LGA)
To view the number of government schools within an LGA and the allocated daily rate, download the list of LGAs.
To enquire about a specific LGA or school speak with your Placement Coordinator or email the department below.
Pre-service teacher eligibility
To be eligible to receive a grant, you must:
- be enrolled in an accredited Victorian primary or secondary school ITE degree
- be undertaking a teaching placement in an eligible Victorian government school
- be completing a teaching placement between 1 July 2023 and 31 December 2025
- be a domestic student*
- have a valid Victorian Working with Children Check
*For the purpose of this program, the definition of a domestic student is defined in the Program Guidelines.
How to apply
To apply for a grant, contact your Placement Coordinator to supply you with a link to the Program Portal. The portal will require you to create an account and provide:
- personal information
- proof of identity
- placement details
Your application will be submitted to your course provider for review and approval before you will receive a grant payment.
I have confirmed my placement school
If you have confirmed your placement school as an eligible school under this program, contact your Placement Coordinator for the link to access the Program Portal.
Grants will be paid directly to your nominated bank account via the Program Portal.
I don’t have a placement school yet
If you’re unsure where you will undertake your placement, we encourage you to review the eligible areas above and speak with your Placement Coordinator for further advice.
You can start the process with unconfirmed details and create an account via the Program Portal, save your application as a draft and submit it later.