Emergency management plans
Every school (government and non-government) and early childhood service has an emergency management plan that outlines responsibilities, procedures and actions in the event of an emergency.
Parents should be familiar with the details of the emergency plan for their child’s school, kindergarten or child care centre, and raise any queries or concerns directly with the school or early childhood service. Parents are also advised to ensure that their contact details, including mobile phone numbers, are up-to-date.
Schools have also had access to curriculum resources to assist in preparing students for the threat of emergencies.
We are committed to ensuring all schools and early childhood services (including kindergartens and child care centres) are as ready as possible for dealing with emergencies including natural disasters. The safety of children and staff is paramount.
This page lists early childhood services, schools, bus routes and TAFEs that are currently not operating.
Bushfire at-risk register (BARR)
Schools, kindergartens and child care facilities assessed to be at the highest risk of fire are placed on the department's Bushfire At-Risk Register (BARR).
Schools and early childhood services at risk of grassfire - Category 4
Schools, kindergartens and child care facilities assessed to be at some risk of fire are placed on the department's Category 4 list.
Bushfire and grassfire preparedness: school operations policy
This policy outlines actions schools and early childhood services must take in relation to bushfire and grassfire risk.
Resources about emergencies, natural disasters and extreme weather
- The department’s regional
- – the state’s primary site for emergency warnings which shows incidents in Victoria on a real-time Google Map display
- Country Fire Authority
- Fire Rescue
- Victorian Bushfire Information Line (24 hours) 1800 240 667
- Department of Environment and Primary – Fire and emergencies
- Bureau of
- Australasian Fire and Emergency Service Authorities
- Department of Human – Emergency Management
- Victorian Government Health – Flood Hazards
- Chief Health – Victorian health alerts
Resources to help you become fire-ready
Links to resources to help you prepare for the fire season.
- Bushfire – the Victorian Government’s teaching and learning materials
- Plan and – CFA’s suite of resources on planning and preparing for the fire season
- Kids and – CFA’s resources on fire safety for children and schools, including teaching resources and educational games
- CFA – keep up-to-date with regular summer safety update videos from the Emergency Management Commissioner
Reviewed 16 January 2023