New entrant training will cover:
- the legislative environment for liquor licensees
- understanding liquor licences
- best practice in managing licensed premises.
An application for a liquor licence will not be granted until new entrant training has been completed for all liquor licence categories except for a BYO permit and pre-retail licence.
Applicants who need to complete new entrant training
- individuals – all natural person applicants
- partnerships – all partners
- company (body corporate) – at least one director
- club – at least one committee member
- association – at least one committee member
- applicants seeking appointment as a nominee
- applicants seeking approval to sublet any part of the licensed premises, or to carry on the business of supplying liquor on the licensed premises.
If applicants have already undertaken an approved new entrant training course, a copy of the training certificate should be included with the licence application.
The following courses are recognised by Liquor Control Victoria as new entrant training.
Information on each of the new entrant training courses can be found on the registered training organisation’s (RTO's) website. For details about the specific new entrant training courses please contact the RTO directly.
Licensees’ First Step
- William Angliss - Melbourne CBD
- Rhodes College - Melbourne CBD
Victorian Licensee’s Training Course
- Hospitality Training - Melbourne CBD
Achieve Liquor Licensing Knowledge (also available in Mandarin)
- Liquor Consultancy - Melbourne metropolitan, available via webinar
New entrant training
- The Imperial College of - Melbourne metropolitan
New Entrant Liquor Licence Training
- Short Courses - Melbourne CBD
New Entrant Liquor Licensee Training Course
- The Academy of International Education - Melbourne metropolitan
Club Seminar (restricted club & renewable limited club licence applicants only)
- For information on the next club seminar contact Good
Self-Paced Guides for licence categories
Self-paced guides can assist you in understanding the liquor licence obligations and conditions for the type of licence you have applied for.
Reviewed 02 April 2023