Specialist disability accommodation

About changes to the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 for residents of specialist disability accommodation.

Changes were made to the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (RTA) in 2018 to ensure that:

  • the residential rights of NDIS participants residing in SDA are fully protected
  • that the duties of SDA providers are clearly set out, including penalties for non-compliance

The new Part 12A was inserted in the RTA from 1 July 2019.

Recent amendments to several provisions in Part 12A were made through the Disability (National Disability Insurance Scheme Transition) Amendment Act 2019. This was done to strengthen protections for SDA residents against unreasonable eviction. The amendments also ensure that SDA residents can continue to receive and request visits from community visitors, among a range of many other protections.

Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) will regulate the new provisions and will provide:

  • resources so that SDA residents and providers understand their rights and obligations, including Easy English versions 
  • regular updates on SDA legislation

Further information is available on the CAV web-site.

Download the factsheet below for more information:

Reviewed 12 July 2019

Was this page helpful?