Victoria government logo

Teach the future FAQs

Teach the future FAQs, Register to teach in Victoria, What salary do teachers earn

How do I register to teach in Victoria?

Before applying for teaching jobs in Victoria you must first successfully apply for teacher registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.

Being a registered teacher means that you are qualified, suitable to teach and can maintain professional practice.

During the application process you'll need to provide documents like proof of your qualifications. The exact documents will be explained as you apply.

For more information and to apply for registration, see How do I register?External Link

What salary do teachers earn?

A teacher’s salary is determined by individual skills, experience, and chosen career path.

As a graduate teacher in a Victorian public school your base salary currently begins at $75,726, but in time you can progress up to $123,257 as a leading teacher or a learning specialist. There are many options for career progression.

For a full breakdown of teacher class salaries in Victorian Government Schools, visit Salary RatesExternal Link .

What ATAR do I need to study teaching?

The minimum Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) is 70 in addition to students meeting literacy and numeracy standards.

Each institution has their own course entry requirements. The education providers will help you find out more about teaching courses available and the individual entry requirements.

For the full list of Victorian institutions, visit Teaching courses in VictoriaExternal Link .

How much will it cost me to study teaching?

The cost of studying a teaching course is set by the individual education providers and can vary each year. To find out the exact cost of each teaching courses we recommend contacting the relevant university faculty of education directly.

For the full list of Victorian institutions, visit Teaching courses in VictoriaExternal Link .

For the full list of pathway programs into teaching courses, visit Approved pathway programsExternal Link .

If you enrol in a Commonwealth Supported Place, you may be eligible for HECS-HELP, to pay for your studies.

Find out more about Commonwealth supported placesExternal Link to see if you are eligible.

How do I apply for teaching jobs in Victoria?

Once you are qualified and registered to teach here in Victoria, use our recruitment system to search and apply for teaching jobs.

Search for teaching jobsExternal Link

For help using the system, contact:


Phone: 1800 641 943

After submitting an application you may be invited for an interview. School job selection panels choose the successful candidate based on merit assessed in the interview and written selection criteria.

Merit is the relevant skills, personal qualities and abilities required to do well in the position.

What are the visa and migration requirements to study teaching?

If you plan to study in Australia, you need a visa.

Depending on the type of study and the length of time you plan to be in Australia you may need a student visa, a training visa, or a visitor visa.

To find out more about which visa to apply for and how to apply, visit Studying in AustraliaExternal Link .

What are the Australian visa and residency requirements to work in a Victorian school?

To be able to work in Australia, you will need to:

  • be an Australian citizen
  • be a permanent resident of Australia
  • have a visa that lets you work in Australia.

What are the English language competence requirements to become a teacher in Victoria?

To register as a teacher in Victoria, you are required to demonstrate competence in written and spoken English.

If you have completed all four years of your initial teacher education or early childhood program studies in English at an institution in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada or the Republic of Ireland, this may be all you need.

If you have completed any of your initial teacher education or early childhood program studies outside of the abovenamed countries, then you will be required to complete an approved English language competency test.

For more information, visit Approved English Language TestsExternal Link or contact the Victorian Institute of TeachingExternal Link .

Reviewed 27 March 2023

Was this page helpful?