JavaScript is required

Apply for a major event liquor licence

You need this licence if you are organising a major event with a large crowd of 5000 people or more and you or your vendors want to sell alcohol at the event.

We are currently processing a high volume of applications

Some applicants are experiencing extended processing times. To improve processing times for your application, please read your application kit carefully and submit all the required documentation.

If you intend to sell alcohol at a major event you will need a major event licence. A major event is defined as one where:

  • a large crowd will be in attendance (5000 people)
  • it involves significant coordination from Victoria Police, local council, public transport or emergency services.

Liquor Control Victoria (LCV) processes and determines major event liquor licences throughout Victoria. These include events such as the Good Food and Wine Show, White Night, Melbourne Royal Show and Spring Racing Carnival.

Event organisers and managers can work with a LCV major events licensing officer who will provide direction on application requirements, content and approval timeframes.

A major event liquor licence is not a permit to hold your event. You may need a permit from your the relevant local council.

Apply for your major event licence

The portal also has instructions about how to successfully complete your application.

If you are an event organiser lodging applications in bulk on behalf of individual event participants, we strongly recommend that you contact LCV to discuss the licensing requirements for your event prior to submitting an application. All major event licence applicants and event organisers are welcome to contact LCV prior to submitting an application.

Depending on the size of your event, you should allow a minimum of 3 months for us to review and process your application.

Timeframes specific to your application can be discussed with the licensing officer managing your application.

Information needed in your application

In your application you will need to provide the following event information:

  • event date(s) and timing, including if event is consecutive days
  • trading times
  • location/address
  • areas to be licensed (red line plan)
  • number of stallholders / participants
  • number of attendees
  • number of crowd controllers (security) you plan to have.

Event Management plan

If you are applying as an event manager, you will need to provide a copy of your event management plan with your application. If you do not provide it, LCV will ask for a copy which may delay your application.

Event hours 

You should specify the hours the major event liquor licence will cover in your application.


All persons involved in the supply or service of liquor must have completed a Responsible Service of Alcohol training course approved by Liquor Control Victoria.

You may be required to produce evidence of completion of Responsible Service of Alcohol training.

Red line plan

Your red line plan defines the area where alcohol can be supplied. This plan needs to be included in your application. The Red line plan page has information on how to create and change your plan.

Application fee

There is a fee to apply for a Major event liquor licence. See the page Liquor licence application fees for information.

When you have your licence

If your application is successful you are obligated to abide by the terms of your liquor licence.

Information on how to be compliant with the terms of your liquor licence is on Licensee obligations page.

You can also change, transfer or give up your licence.

Annual data collection 

As a holder of a major event liquor licence you must collect and report your wholesale transactions. More information is on the Wholesale liquor data reporting page.