JavaScript is required

Find a conservator, tradesperson or materials for war heritage

We recommend finding the right professional to restore war heritage objects, monument or buildings.

Using the wrong conservation methods can cause damage to heritage objects, buildings and memorials.

You can find an appropriate tradesperson or expert through the Conservation of Cultural Material online directory(opens in a new window).

Small heritage objects

Conservators specialise in restoring paper, paintings, objects or textiles, and outdoor objects.

Gardens and monuments

Heritage consultants include engineers, landscape architects, historians and archaeologists. They specialise in heritage places, gardens, monuments and collections.

Find a Heritage Consultant using Heritage Victoria’s Consultants and Contractors Directory(opens in a new window).

Restoring honour rolls

Honour rolls need to be restored by a conservator. Most sign-writers aren’t trained to restore the varnish and lettering to best practice standards.

War memorials and buildings

Conservation architects conserve heritage buildings, including:

  • preparation of conservation management plans
  • diagnosis of building failure
  • specification and supervision of repair

The architect should know about historic and contemporary building techniques and materials.

Repairs to an object or building

Tradespeople can specialise in stonemasonry, carpentry and building. They should know about heritage techniques when repairing objects, places and material.

Find the right tradesperson using the Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Materials directory(opens in a new window).

Use the right materials to preserve heritage

You need to use the right materials when storing or displaying heritage objects.

Archival Survival are the only Victorian manufacturer and supplier of conservation materials. Visit the Archival Survival(opens in a new window) website.

Find volunteers for heritage projects

Deakin University can help you find students volunteers looking for collection experience through its Cultural Heritage and Museum Studies program.

More information

Heritage Victoria

Heritage Victoria manages the Victorian Heritage Register and provides support to the Victorian Heritage Council. It can provide guidance on permit applications for state-significant places and planning matters. Phone: 03 9208 3333

Local councils

Councils give advice on how to care for historic buildings and monuments. Visit: Heritage Victoria(opens in a new window)