Freedom of information requests: Department of Education

You can access documents held by the department by submitting a request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOI).

What type of documents are available

You can apply for access to documents about your personal affairs, regardless of their age, and documents of a non-personal nature that are not older than 5 July 1978.

This includes written documents, maps, films, microfiche, photographs, computer printouts, emails, computer discs, tape recordings and videotapes.

Some documents are not accessible. These include documents that affect the personal affairs of another person, are commercially confidential or would undermine law enforcement. Cabinet and some internal working documents are also not available.

Each document is assessed before a decision is made on whether it can be released.

Requesting access to documents via faster methods

Some information may be available faster through other methods:

  • school reports, curriculum details and teaching histories can be requested directly from your school.
  • if your school is no longer operating, you can contact the Archives and Records team via email:
  • employees can request previous medical reports through the FOI process without an application fee. If your request includes other documents, the fee applies.

We make a large amount of information available online. Our Freedom of Information Part II Statement gives an overview of where you can find frequently accessed documents:

Statement 1: Organisation and functions

We're the key coordinating agency for the state’s education system.

We provide a range of educational opportunities to children, young people and adults both directly through government schools and indirectly through the regulation of funding early childhood, non-government schools and educational programs.

Please note: this section only provides a snapshot of the types of documents held by our department and how to locate them and is by no means an exhaustive representation. If you are searching for a specific topic, you can search our website or contact the relevant areas via the Contact us directory.

Annual reports

Annual reports are produced each year by our department and the education Statutory Bodies. These reports cover the financial year and are presented to parliament for approval.

The annual report provides a summary of the key initiatives and activities of the department, including reports on performance, delivery of outputs and financial management.

Statutory offices and bodies

Statutory bodies are authorities, boards and other entities established under an Act of Parliament for a specific purpose. The department works in conjunction with statutory bodies. The functions, powers, membership and other details relating to each body are outlined in relevant legislation.

Key structures and functions

Visit our Structure page to learn more about how we are organised into central groups and four regions.

Statement 2: Categories of documents

The department produces a large number of documents and records. The department uses an Electronic Document and Records Management System (EDRMS) to classify, store, access and manage a broad range of electronic and hard copy documents.

Document types

The types of documents that the department handles include:

  • policy, procedures and standards
  • briefings and reports
  • case files
  • registers
  • correspondence
  • applications and licences
  • meeting records
  • financial records
  • audiovisual material.

Document categories

These documents are organised under the following categories according to the department’s business classification scheme.

  • Accountability and improvement
  • Cabinet
  • Child Health and Wellbeing
  • Communications
  • Curriculum
  • Financial Management
  • Fleet Management
  • Human Resources
  • Information and Communication
  • Information Management
  • Infrastructure
  • Insurance and Liability Management
  • Inter-government Relations
  • International Education
  • Legal Services
  • Meeting Management
  • Nursing
  • Office Administration
  • Policies, Plans and Strategic Management
  • Post Compulsory Education
  • Procurement
  • Project Management
  • Report Management
  • Research
  • School Education and Early Childhood Development
  • Transport (Schools and Early Childhood)

If you are searching for a specific topic, you can search our website or contact the relevant areas via the Contact us directory.

Statement 3: Freedom of Information arrangements

The Freedom of Information Act 1982 provides you with the right to access information in the possession of the State Government of Victoria, including our department.

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act gives you:

  • the right to access documents about your personal affairs and the activities of government agencies
  • the right to request that incorrect or misleading information held by an agency about you be amended or removed.

An FOI request needs to be made in writing and should be accompanied by a fee.

Learn how to make an FOI request.

Statement 4: Publications

In collaboration with our associated portfolio agencies, we produce a wide range of publications, many of which can be accessed under the relevant categories on this website.

In some cases, it is not possible to supply the publication as a download. If this is the case, details are provided about alternate means of obtaining a copy of the publication.

Information specified by Financial Reporting Direction 22B is retained by the Accountable Officer and is made available on request to relevant ministers, members of parliament and the public subject to FOI requirements, if applicable.

Statement 5: Rules, policies and procedures

Rules, policies and procedures are in place to govern the daily operations of our department.

Types of information include:

  • statements of policies and related policies
  • documents concerning methods of enforcing acts or schemes.

If you are searching for a specific topic, you can search our website, or contact the relevant areas via the Contact us directory.

Read more about key legislation, regulations and policies:

Statement 6: Report literature

Our research section provides examples of where we've published final reports and records of decisions relating to policy.

Learn more:

How to make an FOI request

You can submit a request by writing to our FOI team and paying the application fee of $31.80. The application must clearly describe the documents you are requesting.

For personal records, you should also provide proof of identity with your application. Parents applying for their child’s records must provide a birth certificate as proof of their relationship.

You can authorise another person to request on your behalf. You will need to give them your written authorisation, including your signature and the date.

In certain circumstances, you may be required to pay access charges. You will be advised if this is the case.

FOI request documents in the possession of the Department of Education and Training

Address FOI requests to:

Freedom of Information Manager
Department of Education and Training
GPO Box 4367

You are not required to complete an application form to make an FOI request to our department.

Requests for documents relating to early childhood services

We process certain requests for information under the Commonwealth Freedom of Information Act 1982. This includes requests for documents held by our department in its role as a regulator of early childhood services in Victoria under the National Quality Framework. Please note there is no application fee for requests made under the Commonwealth Freedom of Information Act.

How we respond

Once we receive your application, an officer will review and write back if any further information is needed. We will complete your request within 30 days once all required information is collected from you and the application fee has been paid. In certain circumstances, the timeframe may be extended. You will be advised if this is the case.

If we refuse you access to any documents or parts of any documents, our written notice will provide you with the reasons for the decision. It will also explain your rights of review.

If you are unhappy with our decision you may seek a review by the Victorian Information Commissioner or the National Education and Care Services FOI Commissioner

More information

Online FOI request lodgement and further information about how to make a request: Freedom of Information Request