Get a teaching job

How to become a registered teacher and apply for jobs in Victorian government schools.

Before registering you must have the right qualifications.

To get an idea of where there's the biggest demand for teachers, refer to the teacher supply and demand report.

Get registered first

Before applying for jobs you must become a registered teacher with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.

Being a registered teacher means that you are qualified, suitable to teach and can maintain professional practice.

For more information and to apply for registration, refer to How do I register?

During the application process you'll need to provide documents like proof of your qualifications and a police check. The exact documents will be explained as you apply.

If you have interstate or overseas qualifications

Many qualifications from interstate or overseas institutions are recognised for teaching in Victorian government schools.

You must have your qualifications assessed by the Victorian Institute of Teaching and become a registered teacher. For more information on assessment, contact the institute.

You may need to show evidence of your English language competence.

Visas and migration

To work in Victorian government schools you need to be:

  • a citizen
  • a permanent resident
  • have a work permit that covers the type of work and time period.

You'll be asked to provide evidence of your status before employment starts.

For more information on migration and visa requirements, visit:

We cannot sponsor or offer employment in support of applications for residency status or work permits unless you have:

  • specifically applied for and secured a position
  • the position was advertised through the department's recruitment system or the Australian or international press.

Apply for teaching jobs

Use our recruitment system to search and apply for teaching jobs:

Search for teaching jobs

For help using the system, contact:

Phone: 1800 641 943

Free call from within Australia or call +800 0408 0408 (toll free from other countries).

Phone help is available Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.30pm Melbourne time.

After submitting an application you may be invited for an interview. School job selection panels choose the successful candidate based on merit assessed in the interview and written selection criteria.

Merit is the relevant skills, personal qualities and abilities required to do well in the position.

Help for graduates

Teaching jobs that are suitable for new graduates are highlighted in our recruitment system with the title "Graduate teacher program". Only recent graduates can apply for these jobs.

You must:

  • have qualified as a teacher
  • have graduated in the past four years
  • be a registered teacher or be eligible to register
  • not already be employed as a teacher by the department when you start work.

Use the recruitment system to apply. After the closing date for the vacancy, a merit-based selection process is used to determine the best available graduate.

Some jobs for graduates also offer a cash payment as part of the employment offer. For more information, see teaching scholarships.

Tips for applying

  • Address each of the selection criteria in your job application.
  • Research the school you're applying with. You can use the Find a school page as a starting point.
  • Contact principals of the schools you're interested in and discuss possible short or long term positions.
  • Be reasonably flexible on where you want to teach. Consider rural or regional schools if possible.

Casual relief teaching

Casual teaching may suit your lifestyle, or it might be a way to find out if a particular school or location suits you.

You should make contacts and become known in the area you want to work. You can:

  • register your details in our recruitment system talent pool
  • make appointments to visit and discuss job opportunities with school principals
  • ask about how relief teaching works to see if they use private providers. If they do, you can register your interest with that provider. Speak to your closest regional contact for help.