Better Regulation Victoria (BRV) works with businesses and not-for-profit organisations in Victoria to identify opportunities to improve regulation and cut red tape.
We look for opportunities to:
- improve regulators' interaction with business, including compliance and enforcement
- cut duplicated requirements and regulatory overlap
- identify "hotspots" for regulatory reform
- improve the way regulators administer regulations
Some examples of unnecessary red tape include:
- too much paperwork
- slow approvals processes
- requests for unnecessary information
- the same information being requested by multiple regulators
- unreasonable rules or processes
- multiple regulators overseeing the same activity
Note: Coronavirus and regulation
The Red Tape Unit supports businesses in their interactions with regulatory frameworks, particularly in terms of red tape or unnecessary regulatory burden. We often assist businesses as they seek to comply with regulatory requirements, often at more than one level of government.
The current landscape is particularly challenging and we encourage businesses to contact us for clarity about regulatory requirements, or alert us of a red tape issue.
Tell us your red tape issue
If you are experiencing an issue with red tape, please make a submission using the form below.
We'll work with you to engage regulators at a senior level and request further information or clarity. We will advise them of the issue and discuss ways to resolve it.
We won't share your personal details with other government agencies without your permission.
Before making a submission, please ensure that:
- you are, or work for, a business directly experiencing the issue
- you are experiencing a red tape issue with a Victorian regulator (Victorian Government department or agency)
- you have already tried to resolve the issue by contacting the regulator directly
- the issue is not subject to any current legal proceedings
Reviewed 20 May 2020