More children will have the opportunity to learn in a language other than English thanks to an increasing number of kindergarten services offering a bilingual kindergarten program from 2024.
The Victorian Government has announced an additional 11 services that will deliver a bilingual kindergarten program next year, giving an additional 400 children the opportunity to learn in another language.
Following a competitive selection process, the government has announced that these services will deliver a bilingual kindergarten program next year:
- Albanvale Community Kindergarten (Albanvale)
- Bethal Primary School Kindergarten (Meadow Heights)
- Brentwood Kindergarten (Glen Waverley)
- Dala Yoroo (Bairnsdale)
- Donvale Early Learning Centre (Donvale)
- Iramoo Kindergarten (Wyndham Vale)
- Shine Bright Helm Street Kindergarten (Kangaroo Flat)
- Springvale Service for Children (Mulgrave)
- Vista Valley Kindergarten (Bulleen)
- Vista Way Kindergarten (Wyndham Vale)
- Woodhouse Grove Kindergarten (Box Hill North).
In selecting these services, the department has given priority to services with a high proportion of children from a culturally and linguistically diverse background. The department received more than 70 expressions of interest from services across the state.
About bilingual kindergartens
Bilingual kindergarten is an initiative of the department’s Early childhood language program.
The program supports kindergartens to employ a suitably qualified language teacher to deliver part of their Four-Year-Old Kindergarten program in a language other than English.
About 800 children currently attend 10 bilingual kindergartens, where they learn in a language other than English for 12 hours of their weekly 15-hour Four-Year-Old kindergarten program.
Find out more
For more information, refer to Early Childhood Language Program.
For further enquiries, contact the department by email: firstname.lastname@example.org