Find a mentor
Depending on your early childhood setting type and location there are many different ways mentors and provisionally registered teachers can find each other.
You may find the following suggestions helpful in connecting with a mentor
- use the mentor map on this page
- if your service does not have a mentor, your employer/manager could approach a nearby service to see if they have a mentor or an experienced teacher available to mentor you
- if your employer operates multiple services, they may be able to connect you with a mentor or experienced teacher from another service they operate
- if you are not the only teacher at your service and if appropriate, ask your manager to send the other teacher(s) to undertake the Effective Mentoring program (refer to Mentor training for experienced early childhood teachers)
- become a member of relevant Victorian early childhood teacher social media pages and advertise that you are looking for a mentor
- if you can not find a mentor located within a reasonable distance to you, consider working with them by video and phone calls, emails and video recordings etc
- use your professional network or alumni contacts
- contact Gowrie Victoria and see if you are eligible for a mentor (further details below).
Early childhood provisionally registered teacher mentor program
Free access to a mentor
We are working with Gowrie Victoria to provide free mentor support for early childhood provisionally registered teachers (PRT) to move to full teacher registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.
Mentors from Gowrie Victoria will work with PRTs to support them through the process to move from provisional to full teacher registration. The level and type of support provided by the mentor will be tailored for each PRT. This may include face-to-face, video conference, telephone and email support.
Priority will be given to PRTs who have been unable to access a mentor and who live regionally.
How to apply
To request access to a mentor, contact email Gowrie Victoria at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Gowrie .
This map lists over 40 mentors who may be available to guide you through the Victorian Institute of Teaching's process to become fully registered. All of these mentors have undertaken the Effective Mentoring Program.
See what mentoring looks like in Victoria
Windsor Community Children's Centre - Vimeo (opens in new
Reviewed 18 October 2022