On this page:
From Term 2 2023, experienced educators and teachers can access this first of its kind professional learning to become a coach or mentor.
The Early Childhood Coach and Mentor Training program is an opportunity for experienced teachers and educators to develop coaching and mentoring skills. The program will cover the foundations of what makes a good mentor or coach and help lift the standards of mentors and coaches across the sector. It provides an important opportunity for career advancement for experienced teachers and educators.
On behalf of the Victorian Department of Education Mott MacDonald-Cambridge Education is delivering the Coach and Mentor Training.
Based on best practice industry standards and research evidence, the Coach and Mentor Training will have core modules focused on coaching and mentoring theory and skills.
Additional specialist modules are available to participants to tailor the learning to address professional learning needs or priority areas within their service.
The program will be delivered both virtually and in-person.
How does this program differ from the Effective Mentor Program?
The Effective Mentoring Program (EMP) provides specific training for experienced teachers to mentor a Provisionally Registered Teacher through the Victorian Institute of Teaching Inquiry Process, which is part of the registration requirements.
This Coach and Mentor Training provides training for experienced teachers and educators and equips participants to provide coaching and mentoring to their colleagues at all stages of their career. Participants within this program also being offered the opportunity to develop specific skills to support them to coach and mentor colleagues:
- to deliver programs that meet National Quality Standards
- to deliver high quality education programs that address educational disadvantage
- to deliver inclusive education programs that consider the diverse needs of children and families (e.g. Koorie, CALD, children with an additional need, disability and/or developmental delay)
- that are in the early stage of their career
- that are upskilling (e.g., completing a teacher qualification).
Who can access the program
Teachers and educators wishing to complete the coaching and mentoring training program will need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Currently working in a service delivering a funded Victorian kindergarten program
- Full VIT registration for teachers
- ACECQA approved diploma qualifications for educators
- At least 5 years of experience in a funded Kindergarten program
- Opportunity to engage in mentoring or coaching within their service or in other geographically nearby services
- Commitment to full participation in the program activities and requirements.
Further information will be available closer to the program commencement in Term 2, 2023. Teachers and educators who are interested in finding out more about the program can register their interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Reviewed 17 March 2023