Victoria government logo

How to resign from honorary justice role

JP Handbook reference

4.10 Resignation in Section 4 – JPs in the community

Go to section in Handbook

If you wish to formally resign from your honorary justice role, you can do so by writing to HJSS at advising your intent to resign.

In your email, it’s important to include:

  • Your full name
  • Your HJ registration number
  • Your current postal address
  • Your contact number
  • A reason for resigning (optional)

HJSS will forward your resignation to the Governor’s office to acknowledge your resignation in writing.

The Governor will advise the Attorney General of your resignation and a letter and certificate of appreciation will be sent in due course.

Should you wish to apply for title retention, please follow the instructions in the letter from the Attorney-General.

Reviewed 04 June 2023

Honorary Justices

Was this page helpful?