Reusing, recycling or reprocessing waste to get more value from resources
Recycling Victoria acts for a better and more reliable waste and recycling system to lay the foundation for Victoria’s transition to a circular economy.
It works closely with:
- local councils and Alpine Resort Management Boards
- State government agencies
- the waste management, recycling, and resource recovery sector
- businesses and organisations
Victoria’s Circular Economy (Waste Reduction and Recycling) Act gives the legal foundation for Recycling Victoria’s functions and powers.
Working across government
Recycling Victoria’s sector-wide leadership and regulation of waste management and resource recovery complement the roles of the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Sustainability Victoria, and the Environment Protection Authority.
These government agencies work together and provide services to:
- prevent waste from being generated
- maximise resource recovery
- reduce hazardous components in waste and products
- provide services to households and businesses that are cost-effective, safe and reliable
- ensure the waste and recycling sector can adapt to and withstand market disruptions
- manage risks in the waste and recycling sector
- support delivery of the Victorian Government’s circular economy plan.
Roles in statewide waste management and resource recovery
|Government body and role||Functions in the waste and recycling sector||Legal context|
Sector leadership and oversight
Transitioning Victoria to a circular, climate-resilient economy
Environment Protection Authority
Preventing harm from waste to human health and the environment.
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Policy, regulations and legislation for waste and recycling
Reviewed 28 June 2022