The Department of Premier and Cabinet makes information available to the public on this website and in print materials.
We provide information this way to reduce the need for members of the public to submit FOI requests.
These statements are a statutory requirement under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.
This section outlines the role of DPC in providing services, functions, reports and outputs and demonstrates how DPC provides this information.
This section provides a snapshot of the types and locations of documents held by DPC. It does not include all DPC documents.
The Department of Premier and Cabinet leads the Victorian public service, advising government on emerging policy issues and reviewing the impact of government decisions.
DPC supports the Premier as head of the Victorian government and Cabinet, the Deputy Premier, the Special Minister of State, the Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Minister for Veterans, Minister for Equality, and Minister for Aboriginal Affairs. The department also has responsibility for managing issues that affect the government as a whole.
- Acts administered by, or relevant to, the Department of Premier and Cabinet: Appendix 6 Statutory compliance and other information of the (pp 145-151) or
- Department of Premier and Cabinet portfolio agencies: see the or Appendix 2 Functions and services (pp 111-122) of the
- Key structures and functions of the department: see the or page 111 in the
- Governance of DPC, see Appendix 3 on pages 123-5 of the
- Business areas of the Department of Premier and Cabinet: see Appendix 2 Functions and services (pages 112-118) in the
The Department of Premier and Cabinet creates a large number of documents and records in the course of its work. The Department uses an electronic document and records management system to classify, store, access and manage a broad range of electronic and hard copy documents.
The types of documents that the department handles include:
- policy, procedures and standards
- briefings and reports
- case files
- meeting records
- financial records
- audio-visual material
Documents are organised under the following categories according to the Department's Business Classification Scheme:
- Community Relations: Cultural Support and Development
- Executive Government Process Support: Facilities Management
- Financial Management: Government Communications (WoVG)
- Government Relations: Human Resource Management
- Information Management: Legal Services
- Protocol and Events: Strategic Initiatives (WoVG)
This sitemap of this website shows the areas of work that the Department of Premier and Cabinet undertakes and in which areas documents are created.
Other information available on request: see page 156 of the 2017-18 Annual Report
Under the Freedom of Information Act 1982, members of the public have the right to request information and access documents about their personal affairs and the activities of the Department.
For more information on how DPC is complying with freedom of information obligations, see Appendix 6 Statutory compliance and other information of the 2017-18 Annual Report (pp 150-51).
How to make an FOI request from DPC
A request to access documents should be made in writing to the FOI officer of the agency that holds the documents being requested.
Requests for documents in the possession of the Department of Premier and Cabinet should be addressed to:
Freedom of Information Officer
Department of Premier and Cabinet
GPO Box 4912
Melbourne VIC 3001
Access charges may apply once documents have been processed and an access decision has been made. Charges may be applied (such as for costs associated with photocopying and search and retrieval of documents). Further FOI information can be found at .
The Department of Premier and Cabinet and its associated agencies produce a wide range of publications.
Information specified by the standing directions of the Minister for Finance listed in the annual report is made available on request to relevant ministers, members of Parliament and the public (subject to freedom of information requirements, if applicable).
Requests should be directed to:
Department of Premier and Cabinet
1 Treasury Place
Melbourne VIC 3002
If you are searching for a specific topic, you can search this website or contact us.
Rules, policies and procedures are in place to govern the daily operations of the Department.
Types of information include:
- manuals of procedure
- interpretations of governing statutes
- statements of policies and documents concerning methods of enforcing acts or schemes
Reviewed 13 September 2019