I am… a landlord or managing agent

If you’re a landlord or managing agent of a property in Victoria, you are responsible for providing information to tenants that will help keep them safe while renting.

If you’re the landlord or managing agent of an apartment which has been identified as having combustible cladding, it is best practice to ensure those renting the property are aware. This means including a clause in the rental agreement about the property having combustible cladding. It is important to note that a building or apartment with combustible cladding does not necessarily make the premises unsafe. Higher-risk buildings across the state are eligible to have the combustible cladding fixed by Cladding Safety Victoria’s $600 million cladding rectification program, and tenants in identified apartments are encouraged to speak to their owners corporation about what this means for them.

As a landlord or managing agent, you also have the responsibility to ensure all tenants are aware of fire safety information and know practical steps they should take to be fire safe. This is important regardless of whether the building has combustible cladding or not.

It is also your responsibility to ensure that smoke alarms are installed in homes, units, flats and townhouses. Landlords are responsible for fitting smoke alarms in rented properties.

For more information on testing, maintaining and replacing smoke alarms, visit Fire Rescue Victoria.

More information about the responsibilities of landlords can be found by visiting Consumer Affairs Victoria, including information about fire safety in rental properties which should be provided to tenants.

I’m unsure if the apartment I’m renting out has combustible cladding – what should I do?

If you’re a landlord or managing agent of a building and you aren’t sure if the building contains combustible cladding, the tenant is concerned the building might have combustible cladding, or you want to know whether your building is included in Cladding Safety Victoria’s program, please contact a member of the building’s owners corporation or owners corporation manager. The owners corporation is the best way to find out this information because they will be contacted by Cladding Safety Victoria if the building has been identified in the Statewide Cladding Audit and if it is eligible for the program.

If the building has been found to contain combustible cladding, and it is within Cladding Safety Victoria’s program, it is the responsibility of the owners corporation and the landlord or managing agent to inform tenants.

Looking for more information?

Find more information about fire safety including practical fire safety tips.

Find more useful information for tenants and residents in residential buildings.

How can I contact Cladding Safety Victoria for more information?

We’ve provided information on our website about our cladding rectification program and a range of other resources to assist tenants and residents and owners corporations. However, if you need further assistance, please get in touch with Cladding Safety Victoria via email: or phone our support line Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm on 1300 456 542.

Reviewed 19 January 2021

Was this page helpful?