About the Standard
This Standard requires non-school providers to apply all the Child Safe Standards and document how they do so. Non-school providers must:
- make policies and procedures easy to understand
- develop policies and procedures through stakeholder consultation and best practice models
- make sure organisational leaders champion and model compliance with policies and procedures.
Non-school providers must have all the required policies and procedures to support child safety.
How to comply
A non-school provider must:
- have policies and procedures that:
- address all the Standards
- are easy to understand
- develop policies and procedures using best practice professional development, research or consultation
- ensure staff and volunteers understand and implement child safety practices
- nominate champions or advocates who promote the Standards and compliance.
Examples of compliance
A non-school provider complying with this Standard may show that leaders 'champion and model' procedures in a variety of ways.
Particularly if the provider's child safety culture is prominent in:
- public-facing policies, procedures and practices
- communications to parents, carers, students and the provider community
- visual displays
- governing body oversight.
A non-school provider may also have implemented child safety through:
- policies and procedures that are part of a comprehensive working system
- a monitoring or performance framework
- continuous improvement practices
- communication strategies and practices.
In complying with Child Safe Standard 11, an organisation must, at a minimum, ensure:
- policies and procedures address all Child Safe Standards
- policies and procedures are documented and easy to understand
- best practice models and stakeholder consultation informs the development of policies and procedures
- leaders champion and model compliance with policies and procedures
- staff and volunteers understand and implement policies and procedures.
- The Commission for Children and Young — provides resources and support for the Child Safe Standards including a 'Guide for creating a Child Safe Organisation' which provides sample policies and useful guidance in the section on current Standard 11.
Reviewed 25 October 2022