Department of Education and Training
Higher Education and Skills
Adult, Communication and Further Education (ACFE) Division Memo
- Registered Learn Local providers
- Statewide providers
- ACFE Board
- ACFE Regional Councils
- Learn Local stakeholders
- ACFE Division staff
From: Jeanette Nagorcka, Executive Director, Adult, Community and Further Education Division
Date: 1 July 2022
Subject: Register now for the Learn Local Conference 2022: ‘It Takes a Village’
Actions / Critical Dates:
The Learn Local Conference will be held on 11 and 12 August 2022 at the Park Hyatt Melbourne
Day one - 11 August, 9.45 am for 10.30 am start
Conference dinner on 11 August starts at 6.00 pm
Day two - 12 August, ends at 12.30 pm
Learn Local Conference 2022
After a two-year hiatus, the Adult, Community and Further Education Board is delighted to once again host a Learn Local Conference, where the theme ‘It takes a village’ will be front and centre. This year’s conference will focus on the critical work of Learn Local providers and highlight the importance of place-based collaboration through partnerships and information sharing to support learner pathways.
The two-day Conference will be held at the Park Hyatt Melbourne on the 11th and 12th August and will feature leading international and local speakers. The Conference will be hosted by the dynamic Brian Nankervis, of Rockwiz fame, as MC (arranged through )
The Hon. Gayle Tierney, MP, Minister for Training and Skills and Minister for Higher Education and Minister for Agriculture, will open day one of the Conference, with keynote speaker Mark Cabaj, president of Here to There Consulting from Edmonton Canada, joining via Zoom to explore the importance of place-based collaboration and community engagement to facilitate collective impact and purposeful community development outcomes.
Day one will also include panel presentations and table discussions on a number of topics, with a full program to be released shortly. The Conference dinner will feature guest speaker, Australian writer and activist, Van Badham, a weekly columnist for Guardian Australia and Vice-President of the Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance Victoria, also featured in regular guest appearances on Radio National and ABC’s Q&A.
Day two will enable participants to choose options from eight ‘Deep Dive’ presentations that explore the following themes: Professional Development, Collaboration, Working with Industry and Digital Learnings.
The Conference will conclude with a Look into the Future with Emma Dawson, Executive Director of PerCapita, an independent progressive think tank dedicated to fighting inequality in Australia. There will also be opportunities throughout the Conference for providers to showcase their work over the last few years, please register any programs, products/merchandise, or promotional materials you would like to share with your colleagues on the day when you register.
- Conference tickets will be complementary for two attendees per provider (with the potential for additional complementary tickets subject to availability).
- Accommodation will be provided free of charge to regional participants* (maximum two attendees per provider). Twin share option is available for those willing to share with a colleague.
- Note: A $100 refundable deposit is also required for subsidised accommodation, as per hotel policy.
- Please indicate any dietary requirements you may have on the registration form.
You will also need to indicate your Day 2 ‘Deep Dive’ preferences for both sessions one and two (please indicate a 1st, 2nd and 3rd preference for each session).
Day 2 Deep Dive Workshop Options
- Deep Dive Session 1 (Friday 9.10- 9.50 am)
- Deep Dive 1: Digital Journey - journey to introduce digital systems in the organisation
- Deep Dive 2: Learn Local employment pathways in construction and related industries
- Deep Dive 3: Entry level employment pathways in Customer Service - Call Centre Operations
- Deep Dive 4: Project Based Learning - A truly learner cantered approach where Adult Learning Principles come to life.
- Deep Dive Session 2 (Friday 10.00 - 10.40am)
- Deep Dive 5: Learn Local entry level pathways in Health and related industries in Gippsland
- Deep Dive 6: Civil Construction Pathways with MIRVAC
- Deep Dive 7: Collaboration with JVES and other agencies to improve referrals and learner engagement in employment pathways.
- Deep Dive 8: Collaborative approach to addressing skill shortage in Early Childhood Education and Care in the Wimmera
Note: Due to a need to manage workshop numbers, we cannot guarantee you will receive your first preference.
*Please note: ‘regional’ for accommodation purposes is taken to mean 150 km from metropolitan Melbourne (number of accommodation places are limited to availability).
Reviewed 21 August 2023