Summary of existing knowledge and emerging trends. Highlights gaps for further research and design enquiry.
- To understand the knowledge that already exists on a topic.
- To understand the emerging trends and known opportunities on a topic.
- To determine gaps in knowledge which may require deeper research and design enquiry.
What you get
A summary of existing knowledge with a reference list.
- Provides an overview of existing understanding.
- Identifies gaps in knowledge which can help plan further research.
- Generally summative rather than analytical when conducted for human-centred design projects.
- Quality is constrained by access to research databases and other sources, and time.
If possible, ask a subject matter expert to recommend information sources.
Tools and resources
Reviewed 29 April 2020