- 51 Kentbruck Road, Heywood, 3304
- 4 March 1856
- 31 December 1950
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Heywood Common School
The history of Heywood State School
Heywood opened in 1856. The first head teacher was Herbert Hayward.
The school became a common school in 1862.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
A new stone schoolhouse was built in 1881.
A tree plantation was started for the school. When the trees were grown the timber could be sold for pulp and mill logs and the money would go to the school.
A fire burnt the timber plantation down and it had to be replanted.
Heywood State School closed along with a group of other small local schools. All these schools were replaced by a bigger school called Heywood Consolidated School. The students from all the closed schools moved to the consolidated school. The school buildings were also moved to the new school site.
The schools that closed were:
- Condah State School (No. 1019)
- Drumberg State School (No. 1240)
- Hotspur State School (No. 1260)
- Myamym State School (No. 1692)
- Mount Eckersley State School (No. 1720)
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.