- 133 Milawa-Bobinawarrah Road, Milawa, 3678
- 1 April 1864
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Oxley Plains Common School, Oxley Common School, Milawa State School
The history of Milawa Primary School
The school opened as a common school in 1864. The first head teacher was Robert Gibson. It was likely known as either Oxley Plains Common School or Oxley Common School. Oxley Plains was the name of the district at the time.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
A new school building opened in 1906. The head teacher and most of the students moved to the new school. The teacher's residence wasn't completed for a long time after the move.
Extra land was purchased in 1958 and was used as the school's oval.
The school was extended in 1963, on the north side of the building. The new room was used for infant grades. Infant grades were for younger students.
The school was renamed Milawa Primary School in 1970.
Milawa Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.