150 years: Morrison's Diggings State School

Learn about the history of Morrison's Diggings State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Morrisons, 3334
1 October 1870
31 March 1904
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Morrison's Diggings Common School

The history of Morrison's Diggings State School

  • 1871

    Morrison's Diggings opened as a common school in 1871. The first head teacher was Thomas Carstairs.

    The school replaced Morrison's Diggings School (No. 437) opened by head teacher Thomas Carstairs in 1861.

  • 1873

    The school became a state school in 1873. There were 85 students enrolled in 1873 and the average number of students attending school was 59.

  • 1879

    A new schoolhouse was built. It had 4 rooms attached for the head teacher to live in. The old school building was sold and moved elsewhere.

  • 1893

    Because student numbers were low, the school became part-time. Morrison's Diggings shared the teacher with Dolly's Creek State School (No. 2086). The teacher split their time between both schools.

  • 1904

    Morrison's Diggings State School closed in 1904. The teacher's house was rented out and the schoolhouse remained unused.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.