150 years: Mt. Gellibrand State School

Learn about the history of Mt. Gellibrand State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Mount Gellibrand, Ombersley, 3241
1 January 1872
1 June 1935
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Mount Gellibrand, Mt. Gellibrand Common School

The history of Mt. Gellibrand State School

  • 1870s

    Mt. Gellibrand opened as a common school in 1872. It opened with around 12 students enrolled.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1890s

    Because student numbers were low, the school became part-time. Mt. Gellibrand shared the teacher with Turkeith State School (No. 3133). It shared its only teacher with Trewalla and the teacher split their time between both schools.

  • 1915

    The school was moved to the site of the Birregurra School Plantation beside the Princes Highway.

  • 1935

    Mt. Gellibrand State School closed in 1935.

    When the school closed the head teacher was Jean Robertson.

    The school building was later moved to Geelong West State School (No. 1889) to be used as a woodwork room.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.