- 4-10 Nurlendi Road, Vermont, 3133
- 1 July 1869
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Delany's Road Common School, Vermont State School
The history of Vermont Primary School
The school opened as a common school in 1869. It was known as Delany's Road Common School when it opened.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878. It was named Vermont State School after the name of the local district.
The school was in a state of disrepair in 1881. ‘The wooden shingles on the roof had dried and cracked so that rain came in freely, the chimney smoked, the schoolground was unfenced; and wood-carters used all the water from the school tank for their horses.'
90 students were enrolled in 1900. The school building from Yarraburn was brought in.
Enrolment reached 120 and the Yarraburn school building was no longer used. A new room was added to the original school building in its place.
The school commemorated its 50th anniversary in 1919. Many students who attended the school in 1869 came to the celebrations. Members of the local pioneering families also attended. The Department of Education purchased land across the road to build a new school.
1950s to 1960s
The building didn't commence until 1954 when a junior section was built on the new site. Two more sections were added in 1957 and 1960.
A library was opened in 1965 with funds raised by parents.
An art and craft room was officially opened by the Hon. L.H. Thompson, Minister of Education in 1966.
The school commemorated its 100th anniversary in 1969.
The school was renamed Vermont Primary School in 1970.
Vermont Primary School is still in operation.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Records Office (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it is your turn to do some detective work. Take a look to see what information they have on this school.