JavaScript is required

150 years: Wild Duck State School

Learn about the history of Wild Duck State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Heathcote, 3523
1 January 1872
31 December 1922
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Wild Duck Common School

The history of Wild Duck State School

  • 1870s

    Wild Duck opened as a common school in 1872. The head teacher was John Dunstan and there were around 25 local children.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    A house was built for the head teacher in 1874.

  • 1885

    Because student numbers were low, the school became part-time.

    Wild duck shared a teacher with Langwornor State School (No. 2385). The teacher taught across both schools.

  • 1893

    Wild Duck closed and all the students moved to Langwornor. 

  • 1902

    Wild Duck reopened part-time in 1902. The teacher, C.V. Cecil, taught at both Wild Duck and Murray Rd State School (No.1522).

  • 1903

    Wild Duck operated full time again. The head teacher was Mary Horne.

  • 1914

    A storm destroyed the schoolhouse in 1914. Until a new schoolhouse was built, classes were held in a local hotel.

  • 1922

    Wild Duck State School closed in 1922.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.