Apply for a producer's liquor licence

This liquor licence type allows makers to supply their alcohol. Breweries, distilleries and wineries generally apply for this licence.

We are currently processing a high volume of applications

Some applicants are experiencing extended processing times. To improve processing times for your application, please read your application kit carefully and submit all the required documentation.

Breweries, distilleries and wineries that produce their own beer, wine, spirits, brandy, mead or sake are the type of businesses that generally apply for a producer's licence.

This licence allows you to sell alcohol that you make or are financially responsible for making:

  • to any other licensee at any time and at any place, for example a pub or restaurant
  • to the public at your licensed premises, to drink both on and off premises
  • from a secondary retail location that you operate
  • to a person who orders from you using email, phone, online or fax.

You can also supply other alcohol that you have not produced at your licensed premises for on-premises consumption.

Apply for your licence

To apply please download and fill out the producer's licence application kit. The application kit provides instructions on how to complete your application.

Producer's licence application kit
PDF 1.89 MB
(opens in a new window)

Please lodge your liquor licence applications at least 911 weeks in advance. The time taken to process your application will vary depending on a range of factors including the complexity of the application and any objections which may be raised.

Information needed in your application

As you prepare your application you need to gather the following information:

  • local council planning permission
  • confirmation of trading hours
  • compliance with required training
  • red-line plan
  • declaration of right to occupy premises.

Local council planning permission

Before applying for your liquor licence you should contact your relevant local council about their planning requirements for your business.

Your council will be able to guide you in what they need and the suitability of your business for the local area and location.

In your liquor licence application to us, you need to provide one of the following from your council:

  • a planning permit
  • copy of an application for a planning permit
  • evidence that a planning permit is not required to supply liquor. This can be a letter from the local council (or responsible planning authority) or a copy of the relevant planning scheme.

Trading hours

Ordinary trading hours for a producer's licence are as follows:


Producer licensees must complete:

Right to use the premises

For a licence to be issued, you need to show you have the right to operate out of your intended business location.

This is called a right to occupy the premises and it can be demonstrated by:

  • your lease agreement
  • proof that you own the property
  • another legal arrangement.

Include your declaration of the right to occupy your premises as a part of your application.

Additional retail premises

In your application you can apply to sell your product from another retail location in addition to your own premises.

If you are selling wine, your secondary retail location must be in the same wine region as the primary premises on the licence.

Red line plan

Your red line plan defines the area where alcohol can be supplied. This plan needs to be included in your application. The red-line plan page has information on how to create and change your plan.

Sales at promotional events

In your application for a producers licence you can also apply to sell your alcohol products at promotional events between 7 am and 8 pm. These might be events like farmers' markets, craft markets, festivals and other community activities.

You are required to keep a record of the events you have attended.

Producer’s licence - Promotional events authorisation record
PDF 49.77 KB
(opens in a new window)

This authorisation does not allow you to sell your product at major events or horse racing events. These are separate licences you can apply for.

Application fees

There are costs associated with applying for your liquor licence. Please see the Fees and charges page for information.

When you have your licence

If your application is successful, you are obligated to abide by the terms of your liquor licence.

Information on how to be compliant with the terms of your liquor licence is on Licensee obligations page, or you can use the checklist below:

Producer's licence checklist
PDF 184.82 KB
(opens in a new window)

You can also change, transfer or give up your licence.

Annual data collection

As a holder of a producer's liquor licence, if you sell the alcohol you make wholesale, you may be required to collect and report on relevant data.

Distilling alcohol

In Australia, to distil alcohol such as brandy, gin, rum, vodka and whisky using a still you must hold an excise manufacturer licence.

This licence is administered by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You can find out what is involved and apply for your excise licence at