Apply for a restaurant or cafe liquor licence

This licence allows the supply of liquor for consumption on premises and the sale of packaged liquor with a take-away or home delivery meal. Restaurants and cafes generally apply for this licence.

We are currently processing a high volume of applications

Some applicants are experiencing extended processing times. To improve processing times for your application, please read your application kit carefully and submit all the required documentation.

This licence allows the supply of liquor for consumption on premises and the sale of packaged liquor with a take-away or home delivery meal.

Restaurants, cafes and businesses, where the main activity carried out at all times is to prepare and serve meals (for consumption on the premises), are generally the type of businesses that apply for this licence.

Apply for your licence

To apply for a restaurant or cafe licence, applicants can use the online liquor portal.

The online form contains instructions on how to submit your application.

We suggest you lodge your liquor licence applications at least 911 weeks in advance. The time taken to process your application will vary depending on a range of factors including the complexity of the application and any objections which may be raised.

Information needed in your application

As you prepare your application you need to gather the following information:

  • local council planning permission
  • confirmation of trading hours
  • compliance with required training
  • red line plan
  • patron capacity declaration
  • declaration of right to occupy premises.

Local council planning permission

Before applying for your liquor licence you should contact the relevant local council about their planning requirements for your business.

Your council will be able to guide you in what they need and the suitability of your business for the local area and location.

In your liquor licence application to us, you need to provide one of the following from your council:

  • a planning permit
  • copy of an application for a planning permit
  • evidence that a planning permit is not required to supply liquor. This can be a letter from the local council (or responsible planning authority) or a copy of the relevant planning scheme.

Trading hours

Authorised trading hours for this licence are:

  • 7 am to 1 am the following morning Monday to Saturday (excluding ANZAC Day and Good Friday)
  • 10 am to 1 am the following morning Sunday
  • 12 noon to 1 am on ANZAC Day and Good Friday.

Extended trading hours

It is possible to trade after 1 am. You need to apply for an extension to your trading hours. The late night liquor trading page has more information.


As a licensee you need to complete and hold various training certificates. Please see the Responsible Service of Alcohol training page for more information.

Right to use the premises

For a licence to be issued, you need to show you have the right to operate out of your intended business location.

This is called a right to occupy the premises and it can be demonstrated by:

  • your lease agreement
  • proof that you own the property
  • another legal arrangement.

Include your declaration of the right to occupy your premises as a part of your application.

Red line plan

Your red line plan defines the area where alcohol can be supplied. This plan needs to be included in your application. The red line plan page has information on how to create and change your plan.

Maximum patron capacity

Include in your application one of the following documents to show your venue’s maximum patron capacity:

  • the most recently issued planning permit which contains a maximum patron capacity
  • a copy of an occupancy permit showing a prescribed patron capacity
  • a report from a registered building surveyor.
Maximum patron capacity
PDF 73.58 KB
(opens in a new window)

Application fees

There are costs associated with applying for your liquor licence. Please see the Fees and charges page for information.

When you have your licence

If your application is successful you are then obliged to abide by the terms of your liquor licence.

Information on how to be compliant is on Licensee obligations section.

You can also change, transfer or give up your licence.