JavaScript is required

Apply for a remote seller's packaged liquor licence

A remote seller’s packaged liquor licence is generally applied for by people who want to sell alcohol via phone or internet sales.

We are currently processing a high volume of applications

Some applicants are experiencing extended processing times. To improve processing times for your application, please read your application kit carefully and submit all the required documentation.

A remote seller's packaged licence allows people or businesses to sell alcohol to people not currently on the licenced premise. This includes sales over the phone, via the internet or through an app, and delivered to customers to consume off-premises.

The remote seller's licenced premise is where the liquor is supplied from, such as the warehouse where alcohol products are shipped from.

Apply for your licence

To apply, please download and fill out the Remote seller application kit. The application kit provides instructions on how to complete your application.

Remote seller’s packaged liquor licence application kit
PDF 1.53 MB
(opens in a new window)

Please lodge liquor licence applications at least 911 weeks in advance. The time taken to process your application will vary depending on a range of factors including the complexity of the application and any objections which may be raised.

Information needed in your application

As you prepare your application you need to gather the following information:

  • local council planning permission
  • confirmation of trading hours
  • compliance with required training
  • red-line plan
  • declaration of right to occupy premises
  • alcohol management strategy (if required).

Local council planning permission

Before applying for your liquor licence you should contact the relevant local council about their planning requirements for your proposed business.

Your council will be able to guide you in what they need and the suitability of your business for the local area and location.

In your liquor licence application to us, you need to provide one of the following from your council:

  • a planning permit
  • copy of an application for a planning permit
  • evidence that a planning permit is not required to supply liquor. This can be a letter from the local council (or responsible planning authority) or a copy of the relevant planning scheme.

Trading hours

Off-premises requests can be taken at any time. This means that a person can place an order for liquor on a remote seller's website at any time.

But the liquor can only be packed and delivered during certain hours, as set out below.

Liquor can be picked and packed:

  • 9 am to 11 pm Monday to Saturday
  • 10 am to 11 pm Sunday
  • 12 pm to 11 pm on ANZAC Day
  • any time on Good Friday or Christmas Day if agreed by the liquor regulator on your licence.

Orders can be delivered:

  • 9 am to 11 pm Monday to Saturday
  • 10 am to 11 pm Sunday
  • 12 pm to 11 pm on ANZAC Day
  • no delivery is allowed on Good Friday or Christmas Day.

More information on public holiday trading restrictions is available.


As a licensee you and your staff need to complete and hold various training certificates. Please see the Responsible Service of Alcohol training page for more information.

Right to use the premises

For a licence to be issued, you need to show you have the right to occupy and are able to operate out of your intended business location.

This is called a right to occupy the premises and it can be demonstrated by:

  • your lease agreement
  • proof that you own the property
  • another legal arrangement.

Include your declaration of the right to occupy your premises as a part of your application.

Red line plan

Your red line plan defines the area where alcohol can be supplied. For a remote seller, supply is defined as the picking and packing of alcohol. Your red line plan needs to be included in your application. The Red line plan page has information on how to create and change your plan.

Shared warehouses

If you are sharing a warehouse, you need to show the areas of the warehouse that will be used to pick and pack your orders.

You do not need to show the areas used only for storage. You do not need to show where orders are placed for pick-up.

Multiple licensed premises

Remote sellers can apply for more than one licensed premises. If you intend to pick and pack orders from multiple premises, you must provide details and plans for each location in your application.

You will be required to display your application at each premises. Your application will also be referred to Victoria Police and the local council for each premises.

Alcohol management strategy

If you offer delivery within 2 hours of an order being placed, or do liquor promotions, you must have an alcohol management strategy. This strategy details ways you will reduce the harm associated with supplying liquor this way. The packaged liquor licence application kit has information on this.

Application fees 

There are costs associated with applying for your liquor licence. Please see the Liquor licence application fees page for information.

When you have your licence

If your application is successful you are obligated to abide by the terms of your liquor licence.

Information on how to be compliant with the terms of your liquor licence is on Licensee obligations section.

You can also change, transfer or give up your licence.

Recordkeeping for remote sellers

Remote seller licensees need to keep records of their deliveries. See the page Failed packaged liquor deliveries for more information on what you need to do.