JavaScript is required

Apply for a club liquor licence

Sporting or community clubs that want to supply liquor need to hold a liquor licence.

We are currently processing a high volume of applications

Some applicants are experiencing extended processing times. To improve processing times for your application, please read your application kit carefully and submit all the required documentation.

Sporting or community clubs are generally the type of business that apply for a club liquor licence.

You can apply for a:

Each licence type is outlined below. Apply for the one that best suits your needs.

Apply for your licence

Please lodge your liquor licence applications at least 911 weeks in advance. The time taken to process your application will vary depending on a range of factors including the complexity of the application and any objections which may be raised.

Full club licence

A full club licence authorises a club to supply alcohol to:

  • club members to drink on the premises or take away
  • guests of members and authorised gaming visitors to drink on the premises only
  • people attending a function or club event for drinking on the premises only.

An authorised gaming visitor is someone who:

  • is not a member of the club, and
  • lives more than 5 kilometres away from the club (if in metropolitan Melbourne) or more than 10 kilometres from the club (if in regional Victoria).

To apply for a full club licence, download and complete the full club licence application kit below. The form provides instructions on how to complete your application.

Full club licence application kit
PDF 1.64 MB
(opens in a new window)

Restricted club licence

A restricted club licence authorises a club to supply alcohol to:

  • club members to drink on the premises
  • guests of members to drink on the premises only
  • people attending a function or club event for drinking on the premises.

To apply for a restricted club licence, download and complete the restricted club licence application kit below. The form provides instructions on how to complete your application.

Restricted club licence application kit
PDF 1.65 MB
(opens in a new window)

Renewable limited licence

A renewable licence authorises a club to supply alcohol:

  • to drink on the premises only (take away alcohol is not permitted)
  • from a point of sale during sporting events for drinking outside the licensed premises (for example, from a temporary bar in the stands while watching a match).

If you wish to supply alcohol from a point of sale during a sporting event for drinking outside the licenced premises (for example, from a temporary bar in the stands while watching a match), you must have written approval from the landholder.

In choosing to apply for this licence, your club’s sale of alcohol must be substantially limited in nature or scope.

To apply for a renewable limited licence go to the information page

Information needed in your application

As you prepare your application you may need to gather the following information:

  • local council planning permission
  • confirmation of trading hours
  • compliance with required training
  • red-line plan
  • patron capacity declaration
  • declaration of right to occupy premises.

Local council planning permission

Before applying for your liquor licence you should contact your relevant local council to dicuss their planning requirements.

Your council will be able to guide you in what they need and the suitability of your business for the local area and location.

In your liquor licence application to us, you need to provide one of the following from your council:

  • a planning permit
  • copy of an application for a planning permit
  • evidence that a planning permit is not required to supply liquor. This can be a letter from the local council (or responsible planning authority) or a copy of the relevant planning scheme.

Trading hours

Authorised trading hours for full club and restricted club licences are:

  • any time Monday to Saturday
  • 10am to 11pm Sunday
  • 12 noon to 11pm ANZAC Day and Good Friday.

More information on public holiday trading is available.

You may also apply for additional trading hours.

There are no set trading hours for a renewable limited club licence. Applicants should specify the hours they desire on the application form.


As a licensee you need to complete and hold various training certificates. Please see the Responsible Service of Alcohol training page for more information.

Right to use the premises

For a licence to be issued, you need to show you have the right to operate out of your intended business location.

This is called a right to occupy the premises and it can be demonstrated by:

  • your lease agreement
  • proof that you own the property
  • another legal arrangement.

Include your declaration of the right to occupy your premises as a part of your application.

Red line plan

Your red line plan defines the area where alcohol can be supplied. This plan needs to be included in your application. The red line plan page has information on how to create and change your plan.

Maximum patron capacity

Include in your application one of the following documents to show your venue’s maximum patron capacity:

  • the most recently issued planning permit which contains a maximum patron capacity
  • a copy of an occupancy permit showing a prescribed patron capacity
  • a report from a registered building surveyor.
Maximum patron capacity
PDF 73.58 KB
(opens in a new window)

Application fees

There are costs associated with applying for your liquor licence. Please see the fees and charges page for information.

When you have your licence

If your application is successful you are obligated to abide by the terms of your liquor licence.

Information on how to be compliant with the terms of your liquor licence is in the Licensee obligations section.

You can also change, transfer or give up your licence.


Club licences allow supply of liquor only to club members and their guests. As a club licensee, you must keep a register of members and guests that attend your club.

There is no specific format for these registers. The register can an exercise book or more formal register. If you want to keep an electronic register, make sure you understand your privacy obligations.

Your registers must have its information laid out clearly and be easy to read. The register, however the information is recorded, must be available at any time your venue is open. LCV or Victoria Police may request access to the registers during an inspection and you must provide access.

Members register

A members register is a list of all club members and must include the club member’s:

  • name
  • address
  • membership type or subscription.

Members do not need to sign in each time they visit the club. Instead, the register is to keep a record of who the club members are. 

Guest register

This register is for any guests who attend the club with a member. Guests are required to sign in each time they visit the club.

A guest register should include the guest’s:

  • name (must include)
  • address (either residential or email)
  • the date of the visit
  • the name of the club member they are with (if applicable).

The name of the guest is the only compulsory requirement. We recommend you collect other information, in case you need to contact the guest or to confirm they are a guest. On match days, if your club rules say that opposing teams are ‘members’ then they do not need to sign the register. But you must ensure there is a register of those opposing team members available for inspection if requested.

Gaming visitors register

If you have a venue operator’s licence (a gaming licence for gaming machines), you are required to keep a register of all guests who attend the club as (authorised) gaming visitors.

A gaming visitors register must include the guest’s:

  • name
  • address
  • the date they visited the club.

Gaming visitors should produce identification before being allowed into the club and carry it with them while at the venue. Gaming visitors are not required to be signed in by a member of the club.

Gaming venues wanting to reduce the number of registers, may combine the guest and gaming visitors register for convenience and record keeping.

Clubs that share premises

Clubs that share facilities such as clubrooms, function areas and sporting fields have licence options available to them.

If your clubs amalgamate to form a new joint entity you can apply for a new licence that will be held by the new entity. This will also surrender your existing licence/s. To apply, download the amalgamated club licence application kit.

Amalgamated club licence application kit
PDF 1.57 MB
(opens in a new window)

The Victorian Government recognises the importance of sporting, recreational and social clubs to local communities. Many clubs share facilities such as clubrooms, function areas and sporting fields.

Traditionally, a single club structure has offered organisations the greatest amount of autonomy in managing their affairs. This type of structure has allowed clubs to:

  • attract new members
  • fundraise
  • manage finances
  • maintain facilities
  • fulfil legal responsibilities, and
  • meet increased community expectations.

It also allows clubs to share premises on a seasonal basis such as a football club in winter with a cricket club in summer.

The Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 requires a single licensee or nominee to be responsible for a liquor licence. When 2 or more clubs share the same premises over a 12 month period, they each hold their own liquor licence and both pay the costs of an annual liquor licence.

In Victoria, there has been growth in amalgamated community clubs as a way to maintain viability. For clubs, amalgamation can provide financial savings and it can assist with time consuming administrative and governance tasks. 

Clubs interested in reducing the cost of holding a liquor licence may like to consider the following options:

  • Option 1 - Amalgamate the clubs that jointly use the facilities. A number of clubs are now taking this step to more efficiently manage a range of activities and responsibilities, including those relating to the supply of liquor.
  • Option 2 - Amalgamate club social committees to establish a separate "social club" that controls the use of club facilities, including the holding of a single liquor licence. The combined social club would receive all monies associated with the supply of alcohol and would then have to create their own rules as to how the funds were dispersed to the associated sporting clubs.
  • Option 3 - One club is the licensee for the facility. That club is responsible for the supply of liquor and all related requirements under the licence, regardless of whether the use of the facility is by its club members, authorised visitors, or guests of club members. They would also be responsible for the behaviour of persons who are club members, authorised visitors or guests of club members, and any amenity issues. Serious penalties apply for offences related to licence breaches.

All of these options should be carefully considered, particularly in terms of organisational structures, profit sharing and legal arrangements, such as leases with local councils.

It is up to the individual club to decide how to structure their organisation. Liquor Control Victoria cannot advise you as to the most appropriate administrative arrangement for your club, but staff are happy to discuss the options available.